Autor Wątek: Pirx and robots  (Przeczytany 15274 razy)

innate

• Gość
Re: Pirx and robots
« Odpowiedź #15 dnia: Października 31, 2005, 07:13:07 am »
Not our esteemed Socrates...instead I speak of the otherwise-unknown academy and "Language Translations", whose site I have carefully avoided visiting out of principle.

What, my plans to translate between English and...I don't know, polypeptides, maybe?
This is nice, getting bilingual messages. I like it.

I note that you have been making certain assumptions about the nature of my chromosomes, though I don't believe I've made any mention of them myself.

Terminus

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #16 dnia: Października 31, 2005, 01:43:03 pm »
Yup, my mistake again :)
But does it really matter.

Socrates

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #17 dnia: Października 31, 2005, 05:48:56 pm »
I thought Terminus was privy to some inside information about Innate - I had always assumed that Innate was a man, so I was surprised at seeing Terminus refer to him/her as "her".  
Do men and women write differently?  If they don't expressedly refer to themselves with a gender-defining title, can one nonetheless figure out their chromosone composition?
I should think yes - for the most part.  Looking back on some classical lit, I think there may be some exceptions - for example, reading Pride and Predjudice one might think the story was written by a man.  It deals entirely with love relationships and marriage, and family matters, but it has a male-writer feel to it.  But if one reads Madame Bovary, one has the impression (ok, I have the impression) that it was written by a female.  Certainly, of course, the endings of the two stories betray the authors a bit as to their true genders - unless the authors realized that (assuming that the first was a male and the second a female) and composed the endings precisely  to "fool" the audience.  
Alternatively, I'm nuts, and there is no way to distinguish between male and female writers.

From the posts I guessed that Innate is a male.  I cannot guess as to the age (if I had to venture, I might say between 35 - 55), but the level of education is quite high (Masters or highier in Philosophy, Sociology, or perhaps Education.  But then again I remember some computer code Innate posted one time, so perhaps something to do with Technology?).  Despite negating it, Innate is well-read, and enjoys quality SF (but that’s not very insightful seeing how this is a Lem board and all…). Very curious about life, willing to explore many things – currently interested in Poland, perhaps all of middle-eastern Europe and Slavs altogether.  I’ll stop there before Innate laughs him/herself to death at my attempts at physical/psychological profiling.

Terminus

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #18 dnia: Października 31, 2005, 06:38:23 pm »
Well, honestly I thought Innate was a woman since the first post I saw, I really don't know why :) English is cheesy in that it doesn't distinguish between sexes when writing, in Polish you get to know it for sure after two sentences -  for the necessity of using certain pre- and post- fixes. And judging basing on style - I couldn't guess.
« Ostatnia zmiana: Października 31, 2005, 06:39:11 pm wysłana przez Terminus »

innate

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #19 dnia: Października 31, 2005, 08:12:03 pm »
Do men and women write differently?

I've heard that there are statistical measures that people can use to guess right maybe 3/4 of the time.

...my attempts at physical/psychological profiling.

I'm always very curious about how others perceive me, actually. It's difficult to learn these things since people, after all, do feel more comfortable with flattery than truth. Then again, to twist an old line, "Flattery will get you...everywhere!" heheh.

I tend toward anonymity in public, but you should always feel free to ask whatever you wish via PM.

Terminus

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #20 dnia: Listopada 01, 2005, 12:53:47 am »
Well, I thought you're a girl, man, that's all the flattery You'll get ::)

As for Your tendence to remain anynomous - I guess specifying gender in your profile wouldn't endanger Your private life too much  8)
« Ostatnia zmiana: Listopada 01, 2005, 12:56:34 am wysłana przez Terminus »

wetal

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #21 dnia: Listopada 03, 2005, 01:49:34 pm »
Uh,well there`s atendency that mostly men are engaged with the problems of technological progfress and women mostly deal with more grounded problems like romantics.
 Without men there would be s Stone Age but people would be happier and there would not be such useless things like wars,politics,science and phylosophy.

Terminus

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #22 dnia: Listopada 03, 2005, 01:59:56 pm »
I think wars were quite common during the stone age.

Deckert

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #23 dnia: Listopada 03, 2005, 02:12:13 pm »
I think wars were quite common during the stone age.

Yeah, wars were likely to be the most funny and exciting activities.... hehehe  ;D

CU
Deck

Terminus

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #24 dnia: Listopada 04, 2005, 04:17:18 am »
Let's put it straight. Only activities, next to breeding (I'm not quite sure about using word 'sex' here).

There of course was hunting, but we can count it as a war against non-human populations ::)

wetal

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #25 dnia: Listopada 16, 2005, 04:03:52 pm »
Hunting is the matter of survival.

Terminus

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #26 dnia: Listopada 19, 2005, 02:29:27 am »
And sex wasn't?  ::)