Autor Wątek: Summa Technologiae  (Przeczytany 23558 razy)

nils

• Juror
  • YaBB Newbies
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Summa Technologiae
« dnia: Lipca 15, 2004, 07:19:05 pm »
Hi there I am just asking myself wether it is probably woth trabnslating this work in english ;-)
I would like to know if some of you are interested in translating it as Frak already did . I know it is much of work and cannot be done by one simple person... without getting payd for it ;-)
I could imagine translating some of the german version if someone knowing the orriginal and some native english speaker could correct it

Cheers Nils

cu nils

Socrates

• Juror
  • I shall become the world's best fencer.
Re: Summa Technologiae
« Odpowiedź #1 dnia: Lipca 22, 2004, 03:17:34 am »
Hey,
let me know some details at noveltrans@hotmail.com  I translate books and short stories.

Cheers, Socrates

vincent

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #2 dnia: Sierpnia 25, 2004, 03:14:28 pm »
NILLS, I don't think translation of ST can be done by a dozen of simple persons.
Are you going to translate it from German to English!!!!???????

Zbysko

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #3 dnia: Sierpnia 26, 2004, 06:38:34 am »
This is one heck of a book... But let me just remind you that it is not really a sci-fi, rather socio-philosophical study of various future developments. Translation would be a great thing, but somehow I do not think that people will stand in lines to get this book.  ;)

Terminus

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #4 dnia: Sierpnia 26, 2004, 08:15:22 am »
Whoa, now THAT'S...

negative_dragon

• Juror
  • YaBB Newbies
« Odpowiedź #5 dnia: Sierpnia 26, 2004, 09:25:38 am »
I wasn't aware that this book has never been translated into English.

Wow, you must have plenty of time at your hands! I appreciate your idea but ...

Remember the Soderbergh-Solaris discussion. The only translation of Solaris into English is based on a mediocre French translation. Do you really trust the German version? From my point of view, if someone starts such a huge work, it should be done based on the original Polish source. And it should be approved by Mr Lem.

If he agrees to such a project it should be done. But it will take time.

Just my 2 Eurocents.
Kris ... walked straight across the shiny water surface to the far shore, towards his father's house.

nils

• Juror
  • YaBB Newbies
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Odpowiedź #6 dnia: Sierpnia 26, 2004, 02:01:23 pm »
NILS[corrected], I don't think translation of ST can be done by a dozen of simple persons.
[..] from German to English[...]

I am not a (one) simple (minded) person .

But keep in mind : the probability that 12 or less beings meet at a local library(wherever) willing to lent ST with the ambition to translate it from whatever language (most probably polish) into whatever language (even more probaly klingon) is rather small.

it is much more probable that some people interested in the work of S. LEM meet on this page ;-) hence my post.

And Yes, if i have no other choice i would probably translate the german version. - which is  more or less good.

But i think - those who read it in germen version could probably confirm me that even without deeper study there are lots of mistakes in the translation. - even grammar ones-. which do not interfere with the miningfullness of the work! I believe having understood at lest some % of the thoughts... probably there will be some overlapp....

You know there are no two languages in which you can express one and the same thing ;-) (this is really what i think) .

I think if we achieve a translation Mr LEM could read and discuss probably an english version..... but it is lots of work....

Cheers nils

Socrates

• Juror
  • I shall become the world's best fencer.
« Odpowiedź #7 dnia: Sierpnia 27, 2004, 12:47:01 am »
Once again, there does exist a second translation of Solaris (directly from Polish to English), and I know there does because I did it (with the help of some very smart people).  Faber and Faber, however, won't publish it (or so the story goes).  If anyone wants to see a couple of chapters, let me know at noveltrans@hotmail.com

Cheers, Translator  

vazquez

• Juror
  • YaBB Newbies
  • 2 beer, or not 2 beer - that is a question!
« Odpowiedź #8 dnia: Października 05, 2004, 10:01:41 pm »
Hi, ALL!
There are _partial_ english translation of ST:
http://www.frankpr.net/Lem/Summa/contents.htm
« Ostatnia zmiana: Października 05, 2004, 10:02:01 pm wysłana przez vazquez »

Andreas Metzner

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #9 dnia: Lutego 06, 2006, 01:33:30 pm »
Some parts seem to be already translated; may be that could be helpful:
http://www.lem.pl/cyberiadinfo/english/dziela/dziela.htm

daffodil2006

• Juror
  • YaBB Newbies
  • Precious and fragile things need special handeling
« Odpowiedź #10 dnia: Marca 28, 2006, 08:23:51 pm »
I feel really lucky to have an opportunity to read the masterpiece in my native Russian languge.

It is really worth of reading. I hope you'll enjoy it. The only thing about the book is that it should be read thoroughly to understand the ideas and to feel and taste wonderful Lem's thinking. Sorry I can't find proper words to express my opinion.
Precious and fragile things
Need special handeling

hitmouse

• Juror
  • YaBB Newbies
  • I Love YaBB 2!
« Odpowiedź #11 dnia: Kwietnia 24, 2007, 10:18:17 am »
Hey,
let me know some details at noveltrans@hotmail.com  I translate books and short stories.

Cheers, Socrates

FYI all - this email account is no longer available.  :(