Autor Wątek: 'Maska' - a short film adaptation by the Quay Brothers  (Przeczytany 25406 razy)

Nicolai

• Juror
  • YaBB Newbies
  • I Love YaBB 2!
'Maska' - a short film adaptation by the Quay Brothers
« dnia: Stycznia 24, 2011, 08:21:52 pm »
Wow... this looks absolutely amazing. You can watch the trailer at Twitch. I wonder if the voice-over is a reading of the original text.

margaretfit

• YaBB Newbies
Re: 'Maska' - a short film adaptation by the Quay Brothers
« Odpowiedź #1 dnia: Stycznia 26, 2011, 05:57:07 am »
Amazing indeed! I loved the trailer very much :D

Terminus

• Global Moderator
  • God Member
  • AST-Pm-105/044 Uniwersalny Naprawczy
« Odpowiedź #2 dnia: Lutego 02, 2011, 12:10:04 am »
Truly magnificient indeed.
Yes, the voiceover is a reading of "Maska", first sentence translates roughly to:
"Father, I again answer you I don't know, because even though I wish him no wrong, what's inscribed in me might overcome my will..."

I couldn't thank you enough for finding this.
Regards!

Dragon of Improbability

• Juror
  • YaBB Newbies
« Odpowiedź #3 dnia: Lutego 26, 2011, 07:03:54 am »
This is excellent! I love the short story, "Maska"!  When I read this story at the end of the Michael Kandel collection of Lem's robot fiction, MORTAL ENGINES, I found it to be very thought provoking. It's one of his sadder robot stories, yet it's one of his most sophisticated. I'm a bit in love with the robot protagonist. I was disappointed that she didn't make it to save her lover/victim in time, but it was a great ending. It does have some elements of FRANKENSTEIN and SOLARIS, and contains Lem's theme of robots having mortal feelings.

What language is the trailer in, anyway? Will it be available for U.S. distribution, or will it only be for European audiences?

Terminus

• Global Moderator
  • God Member
« Odpowiedź #4 dnia: Lutego 26, 2011, 12:58:50 pm »
How do you mean, what language:) Its OBVIOUSLY in Polish, i.e. the original !

Dragon of Improbability

• Juror
  • YaBB Newbies
« Odpowiedź #5 dnia: Lutego 27, 2011, 11:29:31 pm »
Sorry, Terminus.  :(
   The language didn't sound like Polish to me for some reason. I've now learned my lesson. I am, however, REALLY happy that Lem story is being adapted into an animated film in the original Polish!   ;D

Nicolai

• Juror
  • YaBB Newbies
  • I Love YaBB 2!
« Odpowiedź #6 dnia: Lutego 28, 2011, 04:52:07 pm »
Truly magnificient indeed.
Yes, the voiceover is a reading of "Maska", first sentence translates roughly to:
"Father, I again answer you I don't know, because even though I wish him no wrong, what's inscribed in me might overcome my will..."

I couldn't thank you enough for finding this.
Regards!
You're welcome. And thank you for answering my query and translating the dialogue.

This is excellent! I love the short story, "Maska"!  When I read this story at the end of the Michael Kandel collection of Lem's robot fiction, MORTAL ENGINES, I found it to be very thought provoking. It's one of his sadder robot stories, yet it's one of his most sophisticated.
I couldn't agree more, it's an amazing and very powerful story.

Will it be available for U.S. distribution, or will it only be for European audiences?
I don't know but at least I'm quite sure that it will be available on MUBI.com at some point as is the case with several other films by the Quay Brothers:
Stephen Quay
&
Timothy Quay

The short was screened about a month ago at the International Film Festival Rotterdam (full details available at http://www.filmfestivalrotterdam.com/en/films/maska/), and subsequently Ard Vijn posted the following review on Twitch:
It is no secret that over here at Twitch we are big fans of Stephen and Timothy Quay, also known as the Quay Brothers. They make films which consist either wholly or partly of inventive, artful stop-motion animation, and which portray dark atmospheric tales.

Their work is often compared to that of Jan Svankmajer and Terry Gilliam, and indeed all four can be considered fans of each other.
And this year, the International Film Festival Rotterdam showed their newest short "Maska", a rare chance to seeing it on a big screen.

We covered "Maska" already on this site and for good reason: it's based on a story written by Stanislaw Lem of "Solaris" fame.
With this much talent involved and lasting only 24 minutes, can "Maska" fulfill its promise? Read on!

The Story:

Scientists create a beautiful woman. Given the name "Countess Duenna", she is sent to the King's court and once there, a man falls in love with her. But her delight turns to horror when she discovers what she really is and to what purpose she has been created. This knowledge brings her to a difficult decision...

The Short:

Adapted from a novel by Stanislaw Lem or not, with the slow brooding style used by the Brothers Quay there is not a lot of story you can put in only twenty four minutes. People expecting an earth-shattering tale of psychological insight may therefore feel a bit disappointed in the simple plot.

However, literal storytelling is not what is being aimed at here. Rather, "Maska" is a mood piece. It is no coincidence that the creature known as Duenna is beautiful-looking, both as a woman and as a "terminator", while the true humans all look decayed and burnt. Dust, smoke and subdued colors give the impression of faded grandeur in this kingdom, most notably in the corrupted palaces of its leaders.

But In the hands of the Brothers Quay, even the corruption looks beautiful though. Their stop-motion animation may in itself look artificial and jittery, their visual compositions are nothing short of gorgeous. Combined with the bombastic orchestral score by Krzysztof Penderecki and some inventive lighting and editing, "Maska" is a treat for the senses.

Conclusion:

I had read a lot about the Brothers Quay but had only caught occasional glimpses of their work. After having seen "Maska" I rushed to the store to buy collections of their work on DVD.

Short but awesome, "Maska" is highly recommended.
« Ostatnia zmiana: Lutego 28, 2011, 05:28:07 pm wysłana przez Nicolai »

MasterPyle

• YaBB Newbies
« Odpowiedź #7 dnia: Marca 26, 2011, 01:08:19 pm »
Looks amazing indeed. I hope the whole movie is true to the novel by Lem and not just filled up with special effects. Does anyone know how close it is to the original? Also, when will it be in the theaters? Thanks.

Nicolai

• Juror
  • YaBB Newbies
  • I Love YaBB 2!
« Odpowiedź #8 dnia: Kwietnia 10, 2011, 05:56:08 pm »
Since the short is created by the Quay Brothers I can almost guarantee that it's imbued with ethereal qualities. Check out the brothers' amazing 'Street of Crocodiles' (1986) for a marvellous look into a unique world of their creation. It's inspired by polish author Bruno Schulz' short story 'The Street of Crocodiles' and is a perfect example of their non-literal approach to adaptation.

'Maska' will be shown here in Copenhagen (with English subtitles) at the Danish film festival CPH PIX on the 15th, 21st & 30th of April in Husets Biograf (one of the smallest art houses in the city (62 seats in total)):

'Maska' is the second film screened in a collection of animated shorts called 'Modern Grotesque':
http://cphpix.dk/p/film.lasso?ser=1294&s=

Presently the web site is almost entirely in Danish - however, a printed catalogue in English is available for purchase - but here's a short description of the festival:
http://cphdox.dk/n/a2.lasso?dep=201004&e=1

Terminus

• Global Moderator
  • God Member
« Odpowiedź #9 dnia: Kwietnia 10, 2011, 11:03:49 pm »
Heh, you should see some of old-school Polish cinemas. We had this long-running cult cinema "AMOK" in Gliwice, Poland, it had like 40 chairs, and I mean literally, wooden chairs falling apart. Nowadays they moved to a new shiny building.

Anyway - I'm highly sceptical about seeing this thing in Poland, maybe I'll take my chances somewhere else... Unless some small studio cinema will try it. Eh, a shame alltogether. I envy you :)

Nicolai

• Juror
  • YaBB Newbies
  • I Love YaBB 2!
« Odpowiedź #10 dnia: Kwietnia 18, 2011, 06:27:41 pm »
Heh, you should see some of old-school Polish cinemas. We had this long-running cult cinema "AMOK" in Gliwice, Poland, it had like 40 chairs, and I mean literally, wooden chairs falling apart.
;D
Isn't that a basic requirement for a cinema to receive the "cult" stamp of approval?

Anyway, I merely mentioned it in case someone considered watching "Maska" at the festival and expected it to be shown on a large screen.

Anyway - I'm highly sceptical about seeing this thing in Poland, maybe I'll take my chances somewhere else... Unless some small studio cinema will try it. Eh, a shame alltogether. I envy you :)
I sincerely hope you get the opportunity to watch it in a cinema.
Aren't there any upcoming film festivals where it might be shown? How about Plus Camerimage in Łódź (although far from upcoming)? A search for "Maska" on the official website provides no results so at least it seems they didn't screen it last year.

I don't consider the following ghastly piece of news worthy of a thread of its own so read it at your own risk:
Roger Christian Adapting Stanislaw Lem's Memoirs Found in a Bathtub

The horror... the horror...
« Ostatnia zmiana: Kwietnia 18, 2011, 07:18:25 pm wysłana przez Nicolai »

Terminus

• Global Moderator
  • God Member
« Odpowiedź #11 dnia: Kwietnia 19, 2011, 01:03:18 am »
Oh, I see a fan of Colonel Kurtz! Good:)

Well yeah, we've heard of this Memoirs... adaptation - lets just wait and hope they don't mess it up just too much :)

Nicolai

• Juror
  • YaBB Newbies
  • I Love YaBB 2!
« Odpowiedź #12 dnia: Kwietnia 20, 2011, 06:15:03 pm »
At least it will pique the curiosity of future Lem readers.