Autor Wątek: Book Cover for Solaris  (Przeczytany 18779 razy)

negative_dragon

• Juror
  • YaBB Newbies
Book Cover for Solaris
« dnia: Maja 23, 2004, 11:37:41 pm »
Hi folks,

I created a book cover for Solaris and now I'd like to learn what you think about it. I checked the cover galery of lem.pl if someone else had a similar idea before but it seems to be new. Here we go:

http://www.hansego.de/LEM/Solaris_Cover/solaris_cover.html
Kris ... walked straight across the shiny water surface to the far shore, towards his father's house.

Terminus

• Gość
Re: Book Cover for Solaris
« Odpowiedź #1 dnia: Maja 24, 2004, 01:38:03 am »
Well.

Say what, I'll be honest ;]
I don't like the silhouette
of a woman there. I understand perfectly what you try to show in this picture, however... please forgive me for saying so, but she looks little funny;]

Hmm... on the other hand Harey is an essential character in 'Solaris', so thats naturally good thing to show her.

Never the less, I think it is a good done job, especially if you created this using Star Office;] (I'm a Corel enthusiast, full respect anyway !!!).

I think the cover carries a positive climax, it also seems to have an element of some old-time moods in it. It is definitiely good (still a bit funny ;] ).

And now to business - MAN YOU'RE A GENIUS !!! These images of Solaris' ocean are greeeeeeeeeeeeat !!!
I've read through you're website (pure pleasure, You happen to live in a very beatifull town (as the photos show), and no doubt you're a man of many talents and various interests ;)) and have noticed the parts about Tarkovski's solaris (great photos, jeeezz... it seems like word "great" keeps returning, heh).
I regret I don't speak german at all - therefore I can't understand all of Your website's content. However I understood that you've created the Solaris' images with Bryce 5. Never heard of it (the program). Is it open source?  

Back to the ocean's images - I especially like (love) the red one. Congratulations.

Ok, I'll send more compliments later :]. Greetings from Poland.  

Karel

• Juror
« Odpowiedź #2 dnia: Maja 24, 2004, 08:38:22 am »

And now to business - MAN YOU'RE A GENIUS !!! These images of Solaris' ocean are greeeeeeeeeeeeat !!!

Agreed.
Before time I have downloaded software which automatically changes desktop wallpaper when my computer is on. So, in the morning, there is "red day", during day it is "blue day" and when I finish work in the afternoon and go home, it is "Solaris night" ;)

And the book cover looks very good to me.

negative_dragon

• Juror
  • YaBB Newbies
« Odpowiedź #3 dnia: Maja 24, 2004, 10:35:49 am »
Well.

Say what, I'll be honest ;] I don't like the silhouette of a woman there. I understand perfectly what you try to show in this picture, however... please forgive me for saying so, but she looks little funny;]  

I know that going to much into detail bears the risk to appear naive. My idea was that a being from Earth tries desperately to get to a being from Solaris. And the sphere of Solaris is opposit to the sphere of the Solaris station as a representation of planet Earth. The two persons - one in a skaphander and the other one almost bare in the outer space are symbols for pure mind and ultimate cognition on one hand and Kris behind his shield is hiding traumata on the other. The essential point of the design is the proximitry of the reaching hands. The rest is only there to create interest and resemble the mood of the seventies' sci-fi books.  I had two other versions. One without the gamma ray antenna (threat to the life of the Slaris ocean) and one with a small rocket flying by in the background. You know the one with the first appearance of the woman. But I rejected that one because it focusses to much on the  "love story".
Never the less, I think it is a good done job, especially if you created this using Star Office;] (I'm a Corel enthusiast, full respect anyway !!!). ... However I understood that you've created the Solaris' images with Bryce 5. Never heard of it (the program). Is it open source?  

Bryce belongs to Corel!

I am glad you like my website. If you go to the pages about Koserow then you are close to Poland. Koserow is on the island of Uznam. That's where I was born. Jedno pivo prosche!
Kris ... walked straight across the shiny water surface to the far shore, towards his father's house.

bio

• Juror
« Odpowiedź #4 dnia: Maja 24, 2004, 10:48:23 am »
.... Jedno pivo prosche!

;D
btw galery is cool  :)

Socrates

• Juror
  • I shall become the world's best fencer.
« Odpowiedź #5 dnia: Maja 27, 2004, 05:20:37 am »
Sehr gut website.  Luckily my german wasn't all that bad, and I did get some of the text.  I visited it once before - back in the day when this Forum was all messed up.  
Great photos, and everything else.  I personally like the cover.  Though I don;t know why, but the female is kinda "well built" so to speak.  But I may be wrong, of course.

Cheers, Socrates

negative_dragon

• Juror
  • YaBB Newbies
« Odpowiedź #6 dnia: Maja 27, 2004, 08:40:53 am »
You're right. But "well built" in German means "in excellent shape". I'd prefer "heavy duty". Maybe I should give her a diet. But on the other hand: in outer space and the abscence of any air pressure she could also look like a balloon. How does a dress behave without gravity?

(Oh my god, I'm too fat! - No you're just right for me. - Really? Oh you're a liar. - C'mon get ready. We gotta leave. Oh these women. - I shouldn't trust you. I can feel I'm too fat. - ... )

Socrates

• Juror
  • I shall become the world's best fencer.
« Odpowiedź #7 dnia: Maja 29, 2004, 09:26:55 pm »
He he he...how about "she's a bit on the portly side" or "a fine big-boned girl"...

Women.  No comment.

Cheers, Socrates