Autor Wątek: universally accessible?  (Przeczytany 29938 razy)

Terminus

• Gość
Re: universally accessible?
« Odpowiedź #30 dnia: Października 27, 2005, 01:36:43 am »
Hehe, You should check out Poland's Pan Tadeusz ::)

innate

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #31 dnia: Października 27, 2005, 06:03:33 am »
Now to see if I ever find myself near a library that has it someday.

Yet another famous thing that I'd never heard of... (You guys showed up on the news a bit in the 1980s with Solidarność and Wałęsa, but that's about all. Since coming here, though, I've started reading a little about Poland. All kinds of interesting and strange things like Pekao fake-dollars. Pity this isn't a Poland forum...)

Deckert

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #32 dnia: Października 27, 2005, 09:48:52 am »
Nice to see polish fonts in your posts innate.  ;)

If You have any questions about Poland just ask.

CU
Deck

Socrates

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #33 dnia: Października 27, 2005, 01:12:06 pm »
I miss Poland a bit...I left in 91'; I still remember Perla Baltyku, brown toilet paper and zapiekanki...I have no knowledge of the new Poland; the Poland in my mind exists no more.  But neither am I fully Canadian.  I'm a kind of a perpetual outsider.  Sorry, feeling nostaligic on this cold Harbin night.
Cheers, Socrates

Deckert

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #34 dnia: Października 27, 2005, 01:48:21 pm »
So you left Poland quite a long time ago. I'm sure that a lot of things changed and turned better (and some turned worse), but since I live in Poland all changes are natural to me and I see them as a natural course of events. I think the best test of how Poland changed would be if someone like You had visited this country and objectively judged the transformations.

CU
Deck
« Ostatnia zmiana: Października 27, 2005, 03:00:04 pm wysłana przez Deckert »

Terminus

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #35 dnia: Października 27, 2005, 03:57:24 pm »

Yet another famous thing that I'd never heard of... (You guys showed up on the news a bit in the 1980s with Solidarność and Wałęsa, but that's about all.

Well, so what. It's not about being in the news, is it.

Since coming here, though, I've started reading a little about Poland. All kinds of interesting and strange things like Pekao fake-dollars. Pity this isn't a Poland forum...)

What's the problem. You can freely talk about Poland, no problem. Ideas of Pekao are no match for some other fascinating paradoxes that are/were quite usual here.

innate

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #36 dnia: Października 28, 2005, 12:13:51 am »
since I live in Poland all changes are natural to me and I see them as a natural course of events.

It's amazing sometimes to step back and see what can happen over time. I often think about the changes in the US over the past five years. For example, everybody knows that we talk incessantly about the idea of free speech, and yet we have the concept of "free speech zones" nowadays. Or how it would have been just about impossible five years ago to find people talking about torture as a reasonable thing. Nearly imperceptible changes, day by day. Still, for most of us, our daily lives have not changed much yet.

It's not about being in the news, is it?
I will agree with this without hesitation!

Ideas of Pekao are no match for some other fascinating paradoxes that are/were quite usual here.
I don't doubt it... It would be illuminating if you could mention a few.

Terminus

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #37 dnia: Października 31, 2005, 03:51:43 am »
Well, Poles are known for the unbelieveable resourcefullness. Take this, for example: we've just recently had a national election here: one for the new government, and two weeks later for the new president of Poland. And during these, some people started to advertise through 'Allegro' (Poland's most popular e-shopping center, like eBay) that they would sell their voices !
One wishing to buy the voices had to pay 50PLN for it (about 12.5 $), and the seller was even willing to make a photo (using a camera in cellphone) of the  voting-form filled by him/her ::)
Of course we have fair election, so these people wanted to sell only their own voices, it wasn't like you could have bought 50 thousand of these :) (hot stuff though, wouldn't suprise me ::)  ).

It was cool in my opinion.

If you wonder how it all concluded - the e-auction was of course quickly erased from public. But who knows what really happended, and how many people did such things :)

It was just an example, first one that crossed my mind.
The story about PKO-Dollars you mentioned is one referring to the communism era in Poland (years 1945-89) and it is much easier to find a story from that time, that from nowadays. These stories from the past are so numerous, that You could start entire new forum about that, and, suprisingly, among many frightening ones there are also migty many of crazy-funny ones.

It's just too much. For example: just try to imagine, that you are walking down the street, and feel thirsty. You find a drinks-selling-machine, that is coin operated. But guess what - if you want a drink (warm "lemonade"), there is no can to drink from - you insert a coin, and the fluid starts to fill... the glass that is CHAINED to the machine (I mean the metal chain connects the glass to it). Forget the hygene - noone steals the glass, that's what counts :)

eeech.  just too many memories...
Cheers.
« Ostatnia zmiana: Października 31, 2005, 03:54:41 am wysłana przez Terminus »

innate

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #38 dnia: Października 31, 2005, 09:17:52 am »
We had some of the same with eBay in the last presidential election, also with the auctions being quickly taken down. (You can't use "voice" to mean "vote" like that in English, by the way.) I don't know how seriously you meant it when you spoke of having fair elections, but I wish we had fair elections.

Glass and lack of hygiene: Eeewwwwww!!

Terminus

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #39 dnia: Października 31, 2005, 01:41:28 pm »
(You can't use "voice" to mean "vote" like that in English, by the way.)

ou, sorry, my mistake :) I knew something wasn't right there :)

innate

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #40 dnia: Listopada 01, 2005, 06:43:55 am »
I don't feel like looking up which thread it was in, but we were talking a while back about Slavs being rather proud of their complex languages.

It occurred to me that I know how many inches are in a foot, how many feet are in a yard, and how many yards are in a mile. I know how many teaspoons are in a tablespoon, how many tablespoons are in a cup, how many cups are in a pint, how many pints are in a quart, and how many quarts are in a gallon. I know how many ounces are in a pound, and how many pounds are in a ton. There are many, many, many more of these in more specialized use.

I'd definitely prefer metric.

Terminus

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #41 dnia: Listopada 01, 2005, 05:59:45 pm »
I've no idea what Slavs got to do with Your measures system, but if you suggest it's complicated, then yes, it is.
However you may not know that we also used systems of measures derived from tradition, and words such as "pud" or "siąg" (other: "piędź", "mendel", "sztyga", "gros", "zagon", end about 100 more) and so on are not yet forgotten. But it was all abandoned few hundred years ago - because it was clearly useless.

To me, it's just Slavs are less bound-to-tradition than practical.

innate

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #42 dnia: Listopada 02, 2005, 03:05:08 am »
But the language discussion had been about being proud of tradition and not being very practical...

Terminus

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #43 dnia: Listopada 02, 2005, 03:24:13 am »
I thought it was about language being complicated - now when You show complicated English measure elements, I show Polish analogs, and mine is still on top  :P
« Ostatnia zmiana: Listopada 02, 2005, 03:24:33 am wysłana przez Terminus »

innate

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #44 dnia: Listopada 02, 2005, 03:36:51 am »
Okay, you can win the prize for the most complication if you like.

I thought you were a mathematician, though. You're supposed to love simple, powerful, elegant things. Great richness born of simple underlying pattern. Maybe you're a Rebel Mathematician.