Autor Wątek: SFWA obituary?  (Przeczytany 10508 razy)

tomsak

• Gość
SFWA obituary?
« dnia: Marca 29, 2006, 11:46:14 am »
I don't think they're saying the actual truth there...

http://www.sfwa.org/news/2006/slem.htm

Stanislaw Lem (1921-2006)
Polish science fiction author Stanislaw Lem died in his home city of Krakow on Monday, March 27, 2006. He was 84.

Lem was one of the worlds most famous SF writers, with stories published in over 40 languages and nearly 30,000,000 copies. After Jules Verne, his work is probably the best known science fiction translated to English.

His novel Solaris was turned into motion pictures in 1972 and 2002. Other well known works include The Invincible, The Star Diaries, The Futurological Congress and Memoirs of a Space Traveler. Hospital of the Transfiguration was censored by communist authorities for eight years before being released in 1956.

Lem was an honorary member of Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America until his work was published in the United States and he was eligible for regular membership. He was disappointed with the loss of honorary membership and felt it was due to the controversial nature of some of his work. Although a SFWA member offered to pay for this Active Membership, Lem declined the offer.

Posted March 27, 2006

Deckert

• Gość
Re: SFWA obituary?
« Odpowiedź #1 dnia: Marca 29, 2006, 02:21:57 pm »
What is wrong, in your opinion, in the above text?

CU
Deck

Terminus

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #2 dnia: Marca 29, 2006, 03:58:33 pm »
Well, I am not sure whether the stuff about SWFA is true or not. I recall reading sth about it the other day, and I guess there had indeed been some matters unsolved between them and Lem.

Whatever.

tomsak

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #3 dnia: Marca 29, 2006, 05:32:41 pm »
Lem was an honorary member of Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America until his work was published in the United States and he was eligible for regular membership. He was disappointed with the loss of honorary membership and felt it was due to the controversial nature of some of his work. Although a SFWA member offered to pay for this Active Membership, Lem declined the offer.  

I am sure that common public image of this "Lem affair" is:

1. Group of US SF writers, lead by Ph. Jose Farmer, asks for Lem's expelling from SFWA (because of his statements about US science firction, state din i.e. first chapter of Fantastika and Futurologia).
2. To avoid shame, SFWA finds the legal way, and decides - because Lem's work were printed in US - doesn't need to be honorary member, but full time regular member. In this way, Lem will stay the member (as locally published author), and he will lost honorary membership, so both sides will be happy
3. Lem removes the idea ( = he loses honorary membership, and he doesn't accept regular membership)

That's the main outline of affair as presented in many books, articles, histories, and also on this site.

So, the statement that "Lem was an honorary member of Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America until his work was published in the United States and he was eligible for regular membership" but he "was disappointed with the loss of honorary membership" - that doesn't seem like diplomacy, but obvious lie.

Metalist

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #4 dnia: Marca 30, 2006, 03:51:42 am »
Well, that article seems very biast to me. The reasons for Lem leaving the SFWA were pretty clear and it wasn't due to him being dissapointed about his honorary membership being revoked.

Kagan

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #5 dnia: Maja 13, 2006, 01:00:31 pm »
Well, that article seems very biast to me. The reasons for Lem leaving the SFWA were pretty clear and it wasn't due to him being dissapointed about his honorary membership being revoked.

Is it really important? SFWA was an American trade union of SF writers. Lem was living in Europe and was writing not only SF. He did not fit to that American company. See what Hollywood made of SOLARIS...

Metalist

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #6 dnia: Maja 14, 2006, 02:22:07 am »

SFWA was an American trade union of SF writers. Lem was living in Europe and was writing not only SF. He did not fit to that American company. See what Hollywood made of SOLARIS...

That's my point.