Autor Wątek: next in sequence after Cyberiad  (Przeczytany 13483 razy)

chris h

• Gość
next in sequence after Cyberiad
« dnia: Lipca 03, 2004, 01:08:03 pm »
I've recently read Cyberiad, which is an amazing piece of work. Can anyone recommend the next Lem book I should read? Looking around cyberia.info, I can see that other books are not necessarily along the same lines. Is Cyberiad unique? I'm happy to explore, but what do you think?

Tim

• Gość
Re: next in sequence after Cyberiad
« Odpowiedź #1 dnia: Lipca 04, 2004, 10:02:53 am »
I would recommend the Star Diaries. More absurdist/socio-political satire. Great stuff.

skrzat

• YaBB Administrator
« Odpowiedź #2 dnia: Lipca 05, 2004, 12:23:26 pm »
I would recommend the Star Diaries. More absurdist/socio-political satire. Great stuff.

I agree: try THE STAR DIARIES together with THE FUTUROLOGICAL CONGRESS (both are memories of Ijon Tichy). You should also like MEMOIRS FOUND IN A BATHTUB. And SOLARIS is obligatory of course!

cheers

Sprengtporten

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #3 dnia: Lipca 05, 2004, 12:57:26 pm »
Try The Chain of chance. Having read that, you can better cope with info-cloaks of modern day.

I have read about a yank who won the grand prize in a lottery not only once but twice. Many people thought that the lottery was gamed somehow, but afterwards a statistician calculated that, yes, two grand prizes for same person looks gamed but the likelihood for such an event to take place in the U.S (each year) is actually quite high, 1:30.

In a sense, the modern info-cloak system makes things look more odd than they are totally ignoring the fact that populations are vast. The Chain of Chance addresses this brilliantly.

Socrates

• Juror
  • I shall become the world's best fencer.
« Odpowiedź #4 dnia: Lipca 11, 2004, 01:21:41 am »
Read whatever you wish - if it's Lem, it's bound to be good.

Cheers, Socrates