Autor Wątek: technicalities  (Przeczytany 24216 razy)

cat

• Juror
  • YaBB Newbies
technicalities
« dnia: Maja 30, 2004, 11:50:39 pm »
What is most astonishing in lem's novels i read so far
is the great technical background colourizing scenarios, lem paints in one's mind.
however often i feel disturbed, when watching a movie after
reading the book it was derived from.
now - having read solaris and being really overwhelmed by
it's beauty i am thinking of also watching the movie.
could anyone give me advice whether to only watch the old
original one, the remake with cloney or rather both?
what is your experience when your personal picture you created in your head is suddenly massively deranged by
impressions of that other medial kind ?

negative_dragon

• Juror
  • YaBB Newbies
Re: technicalities
« Odpowiedź #1 dnia: Czerwca 01, 2004, 09:46:01 am »
I personally recommend to watch the old one first. See also the Solaris Movie thread for details. If you watch the Clooney movie make sure you have a fat subwoofer on. Most of its music happens in the very low frequency range :o. My favorite is the Tarkovski movie as it much better addresses the philosophical issues of the original story.
Kris ... walked straight across the shiny water surface to the far shore, towards his father's house.

Terminus

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #2 dnia: Czerwca 01, 2004, 11:03:13 pm »
Surely the Russian version is more suitable for you.
Your 'mind pictures' of Solaris won't get scrumbled too badly, and your mind itself won't suffer intelectually;]

The american version is visually appealing. (So is Britney Spears (it's how they say), however calling her 'artist' doesn't fit that woman.)

As negative_dragon said before me, you should read the solaris thread also.

----
ps. After all I think seeing both films is the best idea. Why limit yoursel? Just start with the Tarkovski's one.

Socrates

• Juror
  • I shall become the world's best fencer.
« Odpowiedź #3 dnia: Czerwca 05, 2004, 10:11:30 pm »
Hey,
Spears is a great artist!  A sham artist, of course, but great at what she does!  

Cheers, Socrates

Terminus

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #4 dnia: Czerwca 06, 2004, 03:04:31 am »
[...] but great at what she does!  

Heh... no doubt that; you're right, man ! :]

Socrates

• Juror
  • I shall become the world's best fencer.
« Odpowiedź #5 dnia: Czerwca 08, 2004, 07:52:28 pm »
There ain't nobody that can shake her moneymaker the way that little smurfette can shake hers if money's at stake....
Cheers, Socrates

Terminus

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #6 dnia: Czerwca 09, 2004, 03:26:26 am »
Say... that's what makes a 'star' these days;]

Karel

• Juror
« Odpowiedź #7 dnia: Czerwca 09, 2004, 02:49:06 pm »
Is Sodenberg fan of Lem´s books ? (as big fan as we are? ;)) Does anybody knows?

Carlos

• Juror
  • YaBB Newbies
  • From Montevideo
« Odpowiedź #8 dnia: Lipca 16, 2004, 10:51:42 pm »
I did like Tarkowsky's Solaris, though it's not really an adaptation of the book (an impossible challenge, I believe), but another brilliant and personal masterpiece of the great russian director. When I saw the american version cassette in the video club, I took it, hoping at least a few special effects on the phisical transformations of the planet. I was thinking, perhaps, in the star trip of Bowman, though I know Soderbergh is not Kubrick.
But the american film seems to have been made out of Tarkowsky's rather than from the Lem's book. And that's all: an average american perception of a russian genius metaphysics -nothing at all, but boring.
The films don't deserve the book, but least they are ways to make the world speak about Lem, a great master of two centuries.

mucilid

• Juror
  • YaBB Newbies
  • I Love YaBB 2!
« Odpowiedź #9 dnia: Października 08, 2007, 06:36:20 pm »
I agree with Carlos...the best thing that has come of the Clooney version (apart from his paycheque) is that maybe more people will investigate Lems book and other works from that....its hard to penetrate the near solid wall of gold block lettered blockbuster titled banalia..but it might just happen.

Tarkovsky..I am scouting out for that at the moment and look forward to it..

;)

Miesław

• Juror
  • God Member
« Odpowiedź #10 dnia: Października 09, 2007, 07:19:18 pm »
In my humble opinion, Sodebergh's Solaris is a pretty good movie if we don't compare it with the book.
As for Tarkowski's version - I haven't seen it yet. I'm still scouting out for it as mucilid said. And it seems that I won't succeed quickly.
« Ostatnia zmiana: Października 09, 2007, 07:21:10 pm wysłana przez Mieslaw »

mucilid

• Juror
  • YaBB Newbies
  • I Love YaBB 2!
« Odpowiedź #11 dnia: Października 11, 2007, 12:39:34 pm »
I think I sounded a tad harsh about Soderburgs Solaris, I mean I like it but having read even a little bit about Tarkovsky his life and work..the Russian fellow does sound in another league altogether..dare I say an artist of the less compromising type. We shall see, I have asked a friend to rent out Tarkovskys Solaris...meanwhile i am rereading Tales of Pirx...with great delight...despite the tech having fallen way out of date..still possesses its incredible charm. ::) Long Live Pirx

Q

• YaBB Moderator
  • God Member
  • Jego Induktywność
« Odpowiedź #12 dnia: Października 13, 2007, 02:54:11 am »
Long Live Pirx

It's very nice 'Lemish' salutation :). I note this ;) and I will use it :).

Long Live Pirx!
"Wśród wydarzeń wszechświata nie ma ważnych i nieważnych, tylko my różnie je postrzegamy. Podział na ważne i nieważne odbywa się w naszych umysłach" - Marek Baraniecki