Autor Wątek: possible futures  (Przeczytany 47175 razy)

wetal

• Gość
Re: possible futures
« Odpowiedź #60 dnia: Grudnia 08, 2005, 03:29:46 pm »
One more view .  
 You see there appear some forecasts about the close disaster whch is going to destroy all the living things on our planet.
 Recently I`ve heard one of them,it says that in six years the sun will explode.But according to my information the guaranteed term of the device which the star is about 100000000 years.
 So , I`m driving at that sick persons who don`t want to die in pains invent something that can kill them quickly. As most of them are egoistic ,they envy the others `cause it is easier to die knowing that the whole world is dying together with them.

innate

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #61 dnia: Grudnia 08, 2005, 08:01:24 pm »
Cryptic? In the age of the search engine?

wetal

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #62 dnia: Grudnia 10, 2005, 01:27:39 pm »
What is cryptic ? Are you talking about foreseeing the future?

innate

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #63 dnia: Grudnia 10, 2005, 06:34:02 pm »
cryptic: I think she disapproved of my quotation.

innate

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #64 dnia: Grudnia 13, 2005, 06:21:02 am »
You know what? I forgot the future in which all humanity follows various schools of Lemism, with the usual mythologizing of the central figure, perverting of his works to conform to each school's faith, burning of books, rivers of blood, and so on. No spaceflight on the Sabbath (a rule that I observe strictly!)

cckeiser

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #65 dnia: Grudnia 14, 2005, 04:55:18 am »
Oops, sorry people. I didn't mean to put a damper of this thread. I guess I should of warned you all before dropping this on you all.
I was reading the thread and ran across a few post that reminded me of my story. I thought maybe you all might enjoy it. It's just an idea I wrote down for a friend back in April of 04, and as you can tell it's still a bit rough with a lot of loose ends that need working on.
I hope I didn't scare you all off.

Ever since the Christian neo-conservatives took over the US  government, they have been scaring the hell out of me.
My story is more of a nightmare than science fiction!

I was wondering, can you tell I suffer from Fundy-phobia?

Chuck

And no, "I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it!"  ;D
« Ostatnia zmiana: Grudnia 14, 2005, 04:56:05 am wysłana przez cckeiser »

innate

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #66 dnia: Grudnia 14, 2005, 07:13:09 am »
Nah, things are just winding down as we run out of futures.

Ever since the Christian neo-conservatives took over the US  government, they have been scaring the hell out of me.

Ditto. Wrapping themselves in God and Country in order to murder and steal.

I was hoping that Europe would provide something of a civilized counterbalance, but now I hear all of this about our own CIA Gulag (characteristically outsourced) in Poland and elsewhere...

[plus they don't seem to be genuine xians or genuine conservatives. There is real power in manipulating the language. (Um, not that Orwell and a zillion others haven't already observed that.) I thought there was something to Lakoff's ideas on framing...]
« Ostatnia zmiana: Grudnia 14, 2005, 07:21:21 am wysłana przez innate »

Terminus

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #67 dnia: Grudnia 15, 2005, 12:37:56 am »

I was hoping that Europe would provide something of a civilized counterbalance, but now I hear all of this about our own CIA Gulag (characteristically outsourced) in Poland and elsewhere...

Now well the fact that CIA hides imprisoned terrorists behind our barns doesn't signify that Europe is less civilized, or unable to balance the situation ::)
I must say that here in Poland nobody believes this stuff about CIA until it is proved decently. We've already had Loch-Ness monsters, Russian spaceships and stuff like that so nobody gives a damn.

As for American neoconservatives taking over, I feel for you all ::)
« Ostatnia zmiana: Grudnia 15, 2005, 12:38:22 am wysłana przez Terminus »

innate

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #68 dnia: Grudnia 15, 2005, 07:02:24 am »
Europe as counterbalance: It also worries me when I hear from time to time of the EU and others adopting our various crazy ideas about patents, copyright, etc.

Terminus

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #69 dnia: Grudnia 15, 2005, 12:14:33 pm »
Well but the patent right didn't make it in the European parliment, happily ::)

(As for the freedom of software... well... when one lives so close to Russia... ::)  )

cckeiser

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #70 dnia: Grudnia 15, 2005, 09:10:02 pm »
Talking about possible futures, what do you all think of this supposable coming Singularity event?

http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~phoenix/vinge/vinge-sing.html

innate

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #71 dnia: Grudnia 16, 2005, 01:29:49 am »
I don't have much of an opinion on whether it will come, since I don't think we know the shape of the problem well enough.

It would be nice for greater intelligence to come into existence, though sometimes I wonder whether there's a degree of intelligence beyond which one no longer values existence -- a point where drives no longer have effect.

cckeiser

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #72 dnia: Grudnia 17, 2005, 05:46:52 am »
I wonder whether there's a degree of intelligence beyond which one no longer values existence -- a point where drives no longer have effect.

That's a good one!
It gave me pause to think. I think it may depend on what you mean by drives, and on how you define existence?

There's a Buddhist saying that goes something like this (as best as I can remember):
In the first stage of enlightenment there are mountains.
In the second stage of enlightenment there are no mountains.
In the final stage of enlightenment the mountains return.

What I believe this means is in the beginning we are filled with questions about existence. And anguish over the meaning of it all.
When we reach the second stage we realize that existence doesn't really exist. (The Buddhist maintain "There is emptiness at the heart of all matter"so therefore existence is an illusion.)
In the final stage we now understand all that there is to understand. We have no more questions, so we can sit back and enjoy the illusion for what it is.
We can live life just for the sake of living it.

The Zen Master goes to the well to drink its cold water. He knows the well and its water are an illusion, but that does not stop him from enjoying his drink. In fact, his enlightenment makes his drink of water all the more pleasing.
« Ostatnia zmiana: Grudnia 17, 2005, 09:39:15 pm wysłana przez cckeiser »

innate

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #73 dnia: Grudnia 17, 2005, 08:24:42 am »
Yeah, it does parallel that.

I was thinking about how most people go after status, money, sex, alliances, etc., without reflection. I can see the arbitrary-for-the-organism, necessary-for-the-gene nature of it and wish that it all would distract me less from the nicer parts of life. And so I found myself wondering whether one could reach a level where the "axioms" built into one could be seen for what they are and be ignored/extracted. Even to like the things that one likes, even to exist and continue to enjoy good things. (And Lem's characters have sometimes sung the praises of nonexistence.)

But that would be to erase the illusion of meaning/importance completely, whereas your Zen master would enjoy the arbitrary game.

[Camus' Sisyphus also comes to mind. He was not free, but he embraced the absurdity or something like that.]
« Ostatnia zmiana: Grudnia 17, 2005, 08:37:17 am wysłana przez innate »

wetal

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #74 dnia: Grudnia 17, 2005, 12:39:54 pm »
CCKeiser drew one more utopy,and I want to stress the mere fact that where the knowledge ends religions and beliefs appear.This strikes me deeply `cause in Ukraine there exist Catholic ,Orthodox and Satanistic churches and all possible sects.
I personally see many things we have no relation to.Cell-phones,players,computers may be assembled here but the parts are made in China and Malaisia.
 The same thing happens in notorious USA .All they have is also made in China.