Autor Wątek: Lem as a philosof  (Przeczytany 39329 razy)

Jerzyab

• Gość
Re: Lem as a philosof
« Odpowiedź #15 dnia: Grudnia 04, 2004, 02:33:56 pm »
Well, I didn't mean to be reductionist, I only wanted to show that the central problem in Lem's philosophy is futurology, even if it means futurology of the past (like in the two examples of totalitarism you quoted). In this sense, I believe Lem is pretty close to Popper (whose philosophy of history Lem acknowledges in his introduction to Summa).

Nor do I think all that Lem does are predictions of the future. I never said that I don't consider him as a philosopher (and a much underrated one). Like Nietzsche, Lem uses stories as vehicles for his philosophy, but, personally, I believe he does it in a much more succesful way than Nietzsche.

If Lem is a philosopher, he is a philosopher of science. In "His Master's Voice", the traditional problems in Philosophy of Science are dealt with in an elegant way, underlined by Lem's ironical style. For "traditional problems", I understand: How is knowledge acquired? What is randomness? What is utility of knowledge (if any)?

Those questions are of special interest to me since I am currently on a Master's in Philosophy of Science.

SoGo

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #16 dnia: Grudnia 12, 2004, 03:41:39 pm »
Hmm, interesting interpretation Jerzyab.
Masters Voice tell me that it is impossible an unthinkable
to have contact with something what can communicate and is not from our world.

Terminus

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #17 dnia: Grudnia 13, 2004, 12:33:32 am »
Nor do I think all that Lem does are predictions of the future. I never said that I don't consider him as a philosopher (and a much underrated one). Like Nietzsche, Lem uses stories as vehicles for his philosophy, but, personally, I believe he does it in a much more succesful way than Nietzsche.

If Lem is a philosopher, he is a philosopher of science. In "His Master's Voice", the traditional problems in Philosophy of Science are dealt with in an elegant way, underlined by Lem's ironical style. For "traditional problems", I understand: How is knowledge acquired? What is randomness? What is utility of knowledge (if any)?

Those questions are of special interest to me since I am currently on a Master's in Philosophy of Science.

Dwóch Polaków romawiających po angielsku, no do czego to dochodzi.

Well, always a pleasure to meet a philosopher :)  
It's good  we all agree in that Lem's philosophical views are precious and worth remembering and studying.
As for randomness, he is, of what I know, pretty much ,,obsessed'' by the idea that (almost) anything can happen in a random way (as a consequence of some random process).

Karel

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #18 dnia: Grudnia 13, 2004, 07:50:33 am »

he he he
;)

Jerzyab

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #19 dnia: Grudnia 13, 2004, 11:09:27 pm »

(Jestem brazyliczykiem, ale mój ojciec jest polakiem.)

Well, always a pleasure to meet a philosopher

Well, thank you, but technically, I am not a philosopher yet, if that's possible at all... :D Nice to meet you too!

I've recently read a book about Popper's "The Misery of Historicism". As I didn't read "Summa", let me ask those of you who have: what kind of mention does Lem do to Popper? (In the introduction, I am told.)

Terminus

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #20 dnia: Grudnia 14, 2004, 03:09:52 am »

(Jestem brazyliczykiem, ale mój ojciec jest polakiem.)

Aha, no rozumiem. Pochopnie osądziłem, że ktoś, kto tak świetnie zna polski, jest polakiem. No, mam nadzieję, że się nie obraziłeś :)

----

To make the matters clear, Jerzyab and me were talking about the fact that he speaks polish very well.  
I asked him if he is polish, but he's not. Sorry for this private conversation.

Cheers
« Ostatnia zmiana: Grudnia 14, 2004, 03:10:28 am wysłana przez Terminus »

cckeiser

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #21 dnia: Grudnia 20, 2004, 02:54:18 am »

Well, thank you, but technically, I am not a philosopher yet, if that's possible at all... :D

A Philosophical Question!

What is a Philosopher?

Philosophy itself originated in an attempt to understand the How and the Why of all Existence.
From my pov, that is what Philosophy is. Philosophy is the search for the answers to how and why we and everything else exists.
The Greeks called it "The Love of Wisdom."
They wisely chose Wisdom over Knowledge. Any mind can acquire knowledge by simply accumulating ‘data.' It is Wisdom that requires the mind to ascertain the pertinence of that knowledge.
Any discipline we use attaining the answers to "Life, the Universe, and Everything" are all tools of Philosophy, and thus are themselves Philosophy, whether it be the Philosophy of Science, the Philosophy of Religion, or Metaphysical Philosophy. They all fall under the umbrella of Philosophy and are used to distinguish between what is truth, and what is illusion.

Thus anyone who ponders on the How and Why of Existence is by default a Philosopher.

Philosophers are born not made!
You cannot study to become a philosopher. You can study to become a more knowledgeable philosopher, or you can study to become a Philosophy Professor.

"We have an abundance of philosophy professors but no philosophers." Thoreau

Terminus

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #22 dnia: Grudnia 20, 2004, 03:38:11 am »
Well... ask any question...

but the answer is still 42 :)

cckeiser

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #23 dnia: Grudnia 20, 2004, 06:00:41 am »
Well... ask any question...

but the answer is still 42 :)

Yes, I know! ;D
http://userweb.nni.com/keiser/42.html
« Ostatnia zmiana: Grudnia 20, 2004, 06:01:47 am wysłana przez cckeiser »

wetal

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #24 dnia: Grudnia 27, 2004, 01:16:01 pm »
 Hi everybody ! I`ve got such a thought/ IT IS GOOD WHEN YOU ARE A PHILOSOPHER , BUT  WHAT SHOULD YOU DO IF YOU SUFFER FROM A COMPLETE LACK OF WORDS ?

Terminus

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #25 dnia: Grudnia 27, 2004, 04:18:12 pm »
Not speaking at all is not pretty much worse than speaking meaningless things...
So don't be sorry

Karel

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #26 dnia: Grudnia 27, 2004, 05:27:18 pm »
In that case, wetal, you have to wait until non-verbal communication will be invented.

cckeiser

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #27 dnia: Grudnia 29, 2004, 05:44:44 am »
Hi everybody ! I`ve got such a thought/ IT IS GOOD WHEN YOU ARE A PHILOSOPHER , BUT  WHAT SHOULD YOU DO IF YOU SUFFER FROM A COMPLETE LACK OF WORDS ?

Paint!  :)

Terminus

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #28 dnia: Grudnia 29, 2004, 08:05:01 pm »
Paint letters  ;D

cckeiser

• Gość
Re: Paint!
« Odpowiedź #29 dnia: Grudnia 30, 2004, 06:04:41 am »