Autor Wątek: Solaris in English  (Przeczytany 18491 razy)

VeraLynn

• Gość
Solaris in English
« dnia: Grudnia 13, 2005, 08:29:53 pm »
Desperately seeking an answer to my question: is it possible that, up to this day, there is only one translation of Solaris into English?  ???

If there aren't more, I'd be grateful if someone gave me any information concerning Lem's book which has been translated more than once.

That's all for now, peace out.   :)

Terminus

• Gość
Re: Solaris in English
« Odpowiedź #1 dnia: Grudnia 13, 2005, 11:14:28 pm »
Well I'm only familiar with the translation by J. Kilmartin, there is no info of other ones.

Of course we've got a translator here, his nick is Socrates, ask him about it. He knows all about translations of Lem's books.

VeraLynn

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #2 dnia: Grudnia 14, 2005, 12:37:23 am »
thanx :)

Socrates

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #3 dnia: Grudnia 16, 2005, 09:22:25 am »
There is one, done by yours truly, but I have no idea as to the legality of giving it away.  I think Lem might have something to say about it.  As it stands, the new version is gathering dust somewhere in a drawer in Canada.  I lost interst in trying to get it out into the open after encountering a significant lack of interest from the major players involved.  Let's call it the hidden manuscript; there might be some partial chapters floating out there I gave people to comment on, but 95% of it hasn't seen the light of day.  The same goes for the Star Diaries.  If anyone is interested in obtaining the copies, contact Lem's secretary and find out if I can distribute them.  Otherwise, well, you must make do with Cox and Kilmartin.  
Cheers, Socrates

innate

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #4 dnia: Grudnia 16, 2005, 06:01:03 pm »
Lem's secretary = skrzat, right?

def

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #5 dnia: Grudnia 27, 2005, 12:40:39 am »
You could get an english version of Solaris off amazon.

Terminus

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #6 dnia: Grudnia 30, 2005, 01:12:30 am »
Lem's secretary = skrzat, right?

aha rightie

fugitive

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #7 dnia: Maja 19, 2006, 11:52:07 pm »
 ???

I've always sensed the Kilmartin English translation was deficient in that it is a translation of a translation (Polish to French to English?). It never struck me in its use of language as much as the direct Polish to English translations of Lem.

It's just instinct that tells me that a translation of a translation would have to be doubly deficient.

I remember writing a paper as an undergrad in "Contemporary Polish Literature" and without linguistic skills was still able to note discrepancies in character names. Wish I still had that paper!

Anyway, now that Lem has passed, is there any hope for a complete works with subsequent single language translations?

I've always described Lem to my friends as "the greatest writer on Earth who will never win the Nobel Prize for Literature."

requiescat in pace
« Ostatnia zmiana: Maja 19, 2006, 11:53:57 pm wysłana przez fugitive »

Kagan

• Gość
CENSORSIP!
« Odpowiedź #8 dnia: Maja 20, 2006, 10:48:07 am »
Where is my post, in which I wrote that Lem was paid for not allowing any better English language translation of SOLARIS to be legally published?

Pekka

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #9 dnia: Maja 23, 2006, 11:52:49 pm »
Why would somebody have paid SL for that? My logic is that if  you can sell a new edition, everybody makes more money, simple capitalistic logic... 8)

Kagan

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #10 dnia: Maja 24, 2006, 08:41:13 am »
Why would somebody have paid SL for that? My logic is that if  you can sell a new edition, everybody makes more money, simple capitalistic logic... 8)

Capitalist logic is, at least officially, a logic of FREE COMPETITION. Any attempts to block this free competitions are, at least in theory, illegal: both in the US and in the EU. If you do not know what is going on, do not waste time of the readers...  
« Ostatnia zmiana: Maja 24, 2006, 12:44:20 pm wysłana przez Terminus »

Pekka

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #11 dnia: Maja 24, 2006, 07:55:11 pm »
Capitalist logic is, at least officially, a logic of FREE COMPETITION. Any attempts to block this free competitions are, at least in theory, illegal: both in the US and in the EU. If you do not know what is going on, do not waste time of the readers...  

Kagan, if you are so sure on your cause, why don´t you put the information on your own website?

Pekka
8) 8)

Kagan

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #12 dnia: Maja 25, 2006, 08:57:51 am »

Kagan, if you are so sure on your cause, why don´t you put the information on your own website?

Pekka
 8) 8)

Simply don't have time to update my website. It was created using technology, that is obsolete today, and I have no time to rewrite it...

Kagan

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #13 dnia: Maja 26, 2006, 09:22:10 am »
Simply don't have time to update my website. It was created using technology, that is obsolete today, and I have no time to rewrite it...

LINK: http://mywebpage.netscape.com/stanislawlempl/
This is only a rough draft of translation. I did not work on it much knowing that it cannot be published because of Lem's anticompetitive agreement with US publishers.

Kagan

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #14 dnia: Maja 26, 2006, 09:23:20 am »
http://mywebpage.netscape.com/stanislawlempl/
1: The main reason why I have decided to translate again Lem's "Solaris" is that the original English language translation by Joanna Kilmartin and Steve Cox (copyright for this translation is held by F. & F. Walker & Co., 1970) was not made from Polish, but from the French translation, so it is of inferior quality, as is the Soderbergh's movie.
Even the names of the heroes of "Solaris" were changed by Kilmartin and Cox As this "second hand" translation was a basis for the Soderbergh's screenplay, so instead of Harey we have Rheya (in the Hollywood movie Natascha McElhone), instead of Kris - Chris (George Clooney), Snaut was changed to more English-like Snow (Jeremy Davies), maybe because someone of the translators did not like the Germans, and only Gibarian (Ulrich Tukur) survived "unimproved". Sartorius, which was present in the first version of the screenplay was replaced by Hollywood by dark-skinned Dr. Helen Gordon (Viola Davis), as a tribute to the so-called political correctness (there is a Negroes in the original novel, but only as a guest haunting one of the white, Caucasian, scientists, not as a physicist, as in the Hollywood substitute).
2. My translation is based on 1999 edition by Wydawnictwo Literackie in Cracow (www.wl.interkom.pl).
3. This is only a "rough" translation, or a draft, subject to future editorial changes.