Autor Wątek: getting past the censors  (Przeczytany 21118 razy)

innate

• Gość
getting past the censors
« dnia: Września 11, 2005, 07:10:53 pm »
Now, I've read that the censors didn't take SF seriously, and that Lem could get away with quite a bit as a result, but it still amazes me.

I was just reading about Malaputz connecting everybody in series, with everybody reasoning that there's no point in rubbing if his neighbor can rub and it will come to the same thing. And of course there's Eden and especially, especially, especially Tichy's Thirteenth Voyage where everybody was forced to live underwater. There's no way to miss the message in that one. Labor camps, disappearances, etc.

Terminus

• Gość
Re: getting past the censors
« Odpowiedź #1 dnia: Września 11, 2005, 11:31:40 pm »
Wow I'm amazed to see You're using a signature in Polish, now... do You know what it says then? (Sure You  do ::) ).

As for censors, well, it wasn't that difficult to bypass the controllers, as the weren't too bright. And the anti-totalitarian messages, as You've skillfully discovered, is hidden quite deep below the words, if I may say so.

« Ostatnia zmiana: Września 11, 2005, 11:32:05 pm wysłana przez Terminus »

innate

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #2 dnia: Września 12, 2005, 07:11:09 pm »
sig: Oh, I'm learning a little. I have a dictionary from the local library, after all. It's not that hard...

Deckert

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #3 dnia: Września 12, 2005, 07:56:36 pm »
So, innate you are about to learn Polish... I'm impressed... good luck!

CU
Deck

Terminus

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #4 dnia: Września 12, 2005, 08:38:31 pm »
It's not that hard...

RREEAALLYY? wELL see ya in the Polish section, then! ::)
« Ostatnia zmiana: Września 12, 2005, 08:38:43 pm wysłana przez Terminus »

innate

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #5 dnia: Września 13, 2005, 05:58:01 am »
Well, I won't make any promises about that! ...but it would be nice to be able to read what's going on over there and at least get a general idea of things. Right now, noun declension seems pretty annoying, but perhaps it'll turn out to be a useful property for a language to have once I get used to it.

[and you get to talk about great things like evolutionary processes without having to fight creationists the whole time. That can never, ever happen in English]
« Ostatnia zmiana: Września 13, 2005, 06:43:06 am wysłana przez innate »

Deckert

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #6 dnia: Września 13, 2005, 09:16:56 am »
[and you get to talk about great things like evolutionary processes without having to fight creationists the whole time. That can never, ever happen in English]

Wow, so You keep an eye on Polish section... nice. Indeed, we talk about very interesting things there, and the thread about The Theory of Evolution has become a really HOT one...  ;)
And yes, you are right. We don't fight, but talk by giving arguments and creating conclusions. It's a common thing in Polish section. Not all threads are directly related to Lem. There are talks about general sci-fi matters and philosophy, matematics, phisics, genetics and so on...

CU
Deck

Terminus

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #7 dnia: Września 13, 2005, 03:19:53 pm »
... yes, and now, having read Deckard's advertisement, You have no choice but to speed up Your Polish lessons and join us there ::)

Of course, we can always entertain You by giving some examples of Polish expressions anytime You want.

(aha... since You're learnin' Polish You should already know why we're writing this capital 'Y' at the beginning of 'You', hah?)

innate

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #8 dnia: Września 13, 2005, 06:44:14 pm »
(aha... since You're learnin' Polish You should already know why we're writing this capital 'Y' at the beginning of 'You', hah?)

Yes, I have noticed that. In my book, though, it wasn't capitalized--until we reach Trurl's letter to his Perfect Adviser, when suddenly everything's Ci and Cię. I could only draw the conclusion that reporting speech must have different rules than writing a letter or posting. Kind of surprising.

Deckert

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #9 dnia: Września 13, 2005, 07:46:02 pm »
That's correct innate. We use capitalized "You" only in letters. This indicates that we hold the recepient in a great esteem.

CU
Deck

innate

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #10 dnia: Września 14, 2005, 10:22:45 pm »
BTW, I have figured out what is wrong with the Polish language: it has too many words!

Terminus

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #11 dnia: Września 14, 2005, 10:57:26 pm »
Hehe, so that's why I feel this lack of words everytime I write in English ::)

btw: do You know how Your nick can be divided into two Polish words? Like:

innate= inna + te; where ,,inna''="different" (f.adj.) and ,,te''="those".

innate

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #12 dnia: Września 15, 2005, 06:24:22 am »
Yes, too many words! First you learn that ,,ogon'' is "tail", then you learn that ,,ogólny'' is "general", and then you have no more room left in your brain for any more words that begin with og-, meaning that you have to keep looking up ,,ogromny'' every time.

English has only one word that starts with og-, and that's how it should be! (And if you should ask me, then, why my English dictionary has over 2000 pages, well, ermmm... uhhh...)

I never noticed that about my name. This little Polish dictionary doesn't do a very good job with all of those demonstrative pronouns, so I've just been treating most of the little words that begin with "t" as if they meant "this"
for now.

Deckert

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #13 dnia: Września 15, 2005, 09:13:23 am »
That's why Polish is considered to be one of the most complicated languages across the world...

... but don't give up!

CU
Deck

Zlatan

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #14 dnia: Września 15, 2005, 09:12:55 pm »
Deckard wrote:

That's why Polish is considered to be one of the most complicated languages across the world...

Of course considered by Poles themselves. It is so nice to be exceptional even in a negative sense of the world.

Greetings.

Zlatan