English > Forum in English

Star Diaries - two translations?

(1/3) > >>

Andrzej Wojcik:
I want to buy Lem's Star Diaries for my British friend, but on Amazon I've found two books with almost the same title: Star Diaries: Further Reminiscences of Ijon Tichy, and Memoirs of a Space Traveler: Further Reminiscences of Ijon Tichy. They have different number of pages (286 and 152). What is the difference, is it just two translation of Star Diaries? I live in Sweden and cannot check it.
Can somebody explain it to me?

Terminus:
Socrates, answer the man!

Socrates:
Certainly:  
There are two translations, but you only saw one.  The entire Star Diaries book has been split into two parts, one translated by Michael Kandel, and the other by a team whose last names I forget.  What you've seen was simply the two volumes of the same book (with different stories, of course).  The work done by Michael Kandel is superb; the other is less so.
But there does exists another version, done by yours truly, which is unavailable in bookstores for the simple reason that it is technically illegal, not endorsed by Lem (though he apparently did like it somewhat), and will not be published because Faber &Faber is not interested in publishing it.
Cheers, Socrates

Angelika_Darksky:

--- Cytuj ---But there does exists another version, done by yours truly, which is unavailable in bookstores for the simple reason that it is technically illegal, not endorsed by Lem (though he apparently did like it somewhat), and will not be published because Faber &Faber is not interested in publishing it.
Cheers, Socrates
--- Koniec cytatu ---

Another version? By whom? You? Tell me more, please!

Terminus:
Haha, isn't that obvious ? Socrates, of course, translated it himself !

Shame on Faber&Faber !

Nawigacja

[0] Indeks wiadomości

[#] Następna strona

Idź do wersji pełnej