Autor Wątek: possible futures  (Przeczytany 47120 razy)

innate

• Gość
Re: possible futures
« Odpowiedź #30 dnia: Listopada 16, 2005, 04:21:11 am »
Do you guys have a rather standardized curriculum in school? I've seen a few comments now about certain works being a part of Polish education.

It's scary to look out my window at people walking their pets, or driving their vehicles, or taking out trash, and know that other circumstances could have them smashing and killing gleefully enough.

(Is there any way to adapt the idea that Douglas Adams had about the B Ark?)

Scandinavians claim to have genuinely civilized societies. I wonder how much truth there is to that. What I'd read made it sound like the social safety net did everybody a world of good psychologically, but all the same there are cheerleaders for every system.

Deckert

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #31 dnia: Listopada 16, 2005, 02:50:47 pm »
According to your obedience examples I was familiar with Stanford prison experiment only. The others are of course very intriguing too, especialy that one about treating people with high voltage. To sum up: we could say that the bigger part of people would be able to turn into monsters in extraordinary circumstances. But what about the rest, that short percentage which doesn't behave like the others. Did scientists give any reason why those people didn't follow the "common" way?

What do You mean by standardized curriculum?

CU
Deck

wetal

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #32 dnia: Listopada 16, 2005, 04:18:18 pm »
Speaking about the possible future those who say that the mankind will extinct like dinosaurs are right.
 Here I agree with A.Clarke ,he wrote a short story about the end of human civilization all that we`ll  leave after us is trash.

innate

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #33 dnia: Listopada 16, 2005, 07:07:00 pm »
Umm, I don't remember anything profound about the disobedient minority, but it's been some time since I read the book.

standardized: All schools teaching the same things, perhaps using mandated texts.

Terminus

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #34 dnia: Listopada 19, 2005, 02:27:51 am »
Speaking about the possible future those who say that the mankind will extinct like dinosaurs are right.

But then again as nowadays' science claims, dinosaurs were extinct due to an ancient cataclysm (the meteor - crash hypothesis); what it implies is that the extincion itself was rather sort of rapid (in geological terms, it was a eyeblink matter).
Whereas humanity, even if it's to be extinct one day, won't go out with a bang, in my opinion.

innate

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #35 dnia: Listopada 20, 2005, 10:27:09 pm »
I've been meaning to tackle the biotech/nanotech future directly, but my efforts come out...probably overly optimistic. I like the idea of being able to make things for yourself if you have suitable software and a lot of patience (there's a reason why plants and people and everything else take a long time to grow).

Terminus

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #36 dnia: Listopada 21, 2005, 01:17:09 am »
Now here comes my contribution to your future scenarios:
- China's 'world domination'.

China is growing stronger as a country, and brutally controls its 'provinces' (such as Tibet, which is slowly devastated without any respect for human rights). Yet its economical strength increases, which can not be denied. Most interesting fact is that comunism there, despite its obviously totalitarian character, seems to be quite fruitful (at least when observed from abroad).

So, what do You think about sons of Mao pressing their red buttons one day?  (Socrates, I await Your opinion).

Socrates

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #37 dnia: Listopada 21, 2005, 02:20:04 am »
It would not be prudent for me to discuss these things right now.  Censorship does exist here, and, well, not to be paranoid about it, but Big Bro is always watchin' an' monitorin'.  Give me a year or two when I get back to the west, and we may then discuss the other side of this interesting country.  Czasem mi patrza na rece i nie chce zeby  patrzenie przeobrazilo sie w czyny.  
Cheers, Socrates

Terminus

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #38 dnia: Listopada 21, 2005, 02:32:59 am »
Ok, I get it ::)
Stay sharp ::)

Cheers.

Socrates

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #39 dnia: Listopada 22, 2005, 06:23:14 pm »
 ;)
Cheers, Socrates

innate

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #40 dnia: Listopada 23, 2005, 04:28:24 am »
I don't have much of a sense of what they're up to politically these days. However, it does sound like energy requirements are rising very, very sharply with the growth of industry and migration of people to the cities. I read an article about it this morning mentioning that they make heavy use of coal, but I don't know how long their reserves are expected to hold up... There will be conflict.

Terminus

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #41 dnia: Listopada 23, 2005, 08:41:52 pm »
Hmm You think they're gonna need somebody's else's resources? I doubt that - country that giant & vast has all it needs within its boundaries.

(hopefully)

Socrates

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #42 dnia: Listopada 24, 2005, 02:57:00 am »

Deckert

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #43 dnia: Listopada 24, 2005, 09:43:36 am »
This only assures us that if someone wants to make a local catastrophe he only needs to attack local resources like power plants, water supply networks or in the time of global communication destroy computer networks. This a pretty possible dystopian future no...... ???

CU
Deck

Socrates

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #44 dnia: Listopada 24, 2005, 03:32:17 pm »
Did I mention  the earthquake as well?  It's the end of the world here.  People are kinda scared shitless.  I'm sleeping lightly and with my door open (it's -15 here).  Many foreigners have gone to greener pastures in Beijing or Xian; I figure I'll stay and take pictures if anything happens.  

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2005/11/22/worldupdates/2005-11-22T131634Z_01_NOOTR_RTRJONC_0_-224574-1&sec=Worldupdates

Cheers from Harbin,
Socrates