Autor Wątek: any meaning to character names?  (Przeczytany 29664 razy)

Terminus

• Gość
Re: any meaning to character names?
« Odpowiedź #15 dnia: Sierpnia 18, 2005, 04:18:46 am »
Whoa, that's a pleasure & relief to see people really talking 'bout Lem here, just as we all should, instead of the rubbish goin on all around....
Supersweet.

As for the text Socrates quoted, the 'electron analysis of the text' just put me on the floor laughing ::) Excellent.

cheers

Socrates

• Juror
  • I shall become the world's best fencer.
« Odpowiedź #16 dnia: Sierpnia 18, 2005, 06:51:21 am »
Cheers Terminus.
By the by, I'm going to China for a year - may not be very frequently online anymore (not that I am right now).  I don't know how much online time I'll have, and what the web restrictions will be.  If you hear from me in a week, it means I'm ok.  
Cheers, Socrates

Terminus

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #17 dnia: Sierpnia 18, 2005, 01:31:45 pm »
Have a nice year ::)

Socrates

• Juror
  • I shall become the world's best fencer.
« Odpowiedź #18 dnia: Sierpnia 30, 2005, 09:28:02 am »
Socrates Lives!  
Cheers to all from Harbin, Heilongjiang, China.
Socrates

innate

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #19 dnia: Sierpnia 31, 2005, 12:00:20 am »
Socrates lives!
I was just thinking that it had been at least a week and we hadn't heard anything...

As for the 26th Voyage, I saw something the other day that suggested that it contained political views that Lem no longer wished to see in print.

nqd

• Juror
  • YaBB Newbies
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Odpowiedź #20 dnia: Września 14, 2005, 02:55:32 pm »
Wow, the dictionary wasn't even very close. And it's small, so I can't find any words similar to Pirx, Trurl, or Tichy. (I seem to recall a comment in Peace on Earth that 'tichy' is 'quiet' in Czech or something, but that sounds more like chance than comedy).

Only one note:
Tichy really means quite in czech and I'm pretty sure, beacuse I'm czech.  ;D

Of course, I meant QUIET. But I think that better expression would be silent, because quite is not only about loudness, but "tichy" in czech is.
« Ostatnia zmiana: Września 16, 2005, 12:57:30 pm wysłana przez nqd »

innate

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #21 dnia: Września 14, 2005, 10:12:21 pm »
Quite, not quiet?

Deckard

• Juror
  • God Member
« Odpowiedź #22 dnia: Września 15, 2005, 09:18:12 am »
No innate, he ment that "tichy" means "quiet" - like in Polish. Czech and Polish are very similar - so I think we can be sure about it.

innate

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #23 dnia: Września 15, 2005, 07:14:45 pm »
Ahh, okay.

It's been enlightening to see how closely related many languages are. I was looking at some text in Russian recently, and I was surprised by how many words I could recognize from Polish (and from the slang in A Clockwork Orange). There aren't any languages close enough to English to allow me to learn any extremely easily.

Deckard

• Juror
  • God Member
« Odpowiedź #24 dnia: Września 16, 2005, 09:32:57 am »
Well, as you for sure know Russian, Polish and Czech are in a group of Slavonic languages. They are all similar to each other. Nevertheless this similarity is preceived subjectively. It happens sometimes that I have a possibility to watch Czech television, and I don't have a big problem with understanding what they're talking about. Many people think that Polish is most similar to Slovak. Next is Czech and the third is Russian. This is also my point of view.

I will tell you something more! Czech language sounds really funny to Poles and vice-verca. Personally I like Czech very very much. It seems to be so positive to me...

CU
Deck
« Ostatnia zmiana: Września 16, 2005, 09:35:03 am wysłana przez Deckert »

nqd

• Juror
  • YaBB Newbies
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Odpowiedź #25 dnia: Września 16, 2005, 01:41:49 pm »
I will tell you something more! Czech language sounds really funny to Poles and vice-verca. Personally I like Czech very very much. It seems to be so positive to me...

CU
Deck

Most funny but also formidable thing about polish for czechs is written text in polish. There are so many cz, sz, rz and so on, which are in czech pronunciation extremely hard to read (almost impossible) and when somebody tries to read it, that is _really_ funny!!!

But when I replace those cz, sz, rz with č, š, ř, I can understand a lot of simple sentences.

BTW: Isn't it funny, that we're all slavonic and communicate in a germanic language?
« Ostatnia zmiana: Września 16, 2005, 01:44:12 pm wysłana przez nqd »