Autor Wątek: Need help finding this story  (Przeczytany 11666 razy)

joaoantonio

• YaBB Newbies
Need help finding this story
« dnia: Listopada 25, 2011, 04:56:14 am »
I'm trying to find a book or shortstory that some years ago was told to me, it's like this:

All people are given professions by a brain implant or chip that gives the knowledge of the profession, this is made by testing the persons, like a psychologic test, and I presume a computer finds the most adequated profession; so one of the characters of the book cannot use a brain chip, he becames sad but then somebody tells him that he will design/code the chips and so he cannot be given one profession brain chip.

I think it may be from Stanislaw, can anybody help me?

Thanks

Q

• YaBB Moderator
  • God Member
  • Jego Induktywność
Re: Need help finding this story
« Odpowiedź #1 dnia: Listopada 26, 2011, 01:05:21 am »
In my very very humble opinion it isn't Lem's story... ::)
"Wśród wydarzeń wszechświata nie ma ważnych i nieważnych, tylko my różnie je postrzegamy. Podział na ważne i nieważne odbywa się w naszych umysłach" - Marek Baraniecki

Terminus

• Global Moderator
  • God Member
  • AST-Pm-105/044 Uniwersalny Naprawczy
« Odpowiedź #2 dnia: Grudnia 29, 2011, 11:05:36 am »
Actually, it sounds quite like to fist episode of Futurama tv show (episode title was "Space Pilot 3000").

PPJr

• YaBB Newbies
« Odpowiedź #3 dnia: Stycznia 10, 2012, 05:56:13 am »
It's Asimov. Don't remember the title of the story. And you've mixed it up a little bit.

In a future every one gets basic skills (reading, writing, arithmetic) instantly, as a child. But when they grow up, their potential skills are determined, by analyzing their brains, and that's become their profession. All knowledge is sort of implanted in their brain. They function but not quite capable of learning new concepts.

The hero goes through that "job skills" analysis and subsequently finds himself in sort of a psychiatric clinic. Then he learned that he does not have any particular skills, he's not capable of doing anything, so he'll spend the rest of his life locked in that institution. He rebels, tries to run away, gets captured after some misadventures and eventually learns that people like himself iare the real core of the whole system, people who are creative and imaginative and don't want to conform to the rules of the society, and among other things, they are those who create educational programs that gets implanted into the brains of those "with specific skills".  Locking him up was testing him, his attempt to rebel meant he passed that test.

PPJr.

tzok

• Juror
« Odpowiedź #4 dnia: Stycznia 10, 2012, 11:29:28 pm »
PPJr, that's interesting! I did not read anything from Asimov yet (shame on me, I know...), but the main idea is very similar to the one from Zajdel's "Limes Inferior". The society there is also predetermined by everyone's own intelligence. Those scoring the best are often using leakes and holes of the whole system... which by paradox is the very foundation of it all! The cheating, most intelligent individuals are what keeps the system working ;)