Autor Wątek: The Invasion  (Przeczytany 13872 razy)

SoGo

• Gość
The Invasion
« dnia: Maja 31, 2005, 09:52:33 pm »
There was a very interesting story about seed, which fly through space, coming down on a planet, and which only spread out, when the planet bursted and blasted.
These plants, living in such an catastrophe.
What do you think about, has Lem with this telled us his hope for the ever-living evolution, and the life itself?
It sounded in some kind optimistic.

Name of the story was "The Invasion", in the book
"Night and mould"

Terminus

• Gość
Re: The Invasion
« Odpowiedź #1 dnia: Czerwca 02, 2005, 02:19:00 am »
I've looked up this "Night and Mould" and found nothing like it. What is this book?

cckeiser

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #2 dnia: Czerwca 02, 2005, 04:45:16 am »
I have not read The Invasion, but what you wrote reminded me of this article.

http://www.ornl.gov/TechResources/Human_Genome/archive/methanoc.html
From the Discovery web site from 1998.
Life at the Edge
If you woke up one morning to hear the perky host of The Today Show telling you that all our industries, appliances and computers were being attacked by metal-eating aliens, and that these creatures couldn't be killed by doses of radiation millions of times greater than would kill a human, you'd be pretty scared, right? Yet such creatures are already quite common right here on Earth and provide models for possible life forms on other worlds. These creatures are members of the Archaea: primitive, bacteria-like organisms.
In 1996, J. Craig Venter's team at the Institute for Genomic Research in Rockville, Md., learned more about the microbe that can live at freezing temperatures, eat metal and tolerate huge doses of radiation with apparent gusto. After sequencing its complete genetic structure, which includes 1,738 genes, they discovered that two-thirds of its genes didn't look like anything scientists had ever seen before. Some of the genes are similar to those of humans, while others resemble genes of bacteria.
A member of the plentiful but perplexing class of one-celled organisms called Archaea, the microbe's genes prove the creature belongs to a third branch of life, totally different from Earth's two other known branches -- bacteria and blue-green algae on one branch, and all the members of the plant and animal kingdoms on the other.
The microbe called Methanococcus jannaschii normally lives in volcanic vents 2 miles under the Pacific, where water pressure is hundreds of times greater than at sea level. It thrives in total darkness at the lethal temperature of 185 degrees, and, like many bacteria, oxygen kills it instantly. It subsists entirely on carbon dioxide, hydrogen and nitrogen.
The gene sequence of one of these creatures suggests that it shares a common evolutionary ancestor with bacteria. Because the earliest indications of life on Earth have been 3.6-billion-year-old fossils of bacteria from Western Australia and 3.85-billion-year-old sediments from eastern Greenland, the unknown ancestors of the Archaea must have been alive even earlier -- perhaps as far back as 4 billion years ago, when Earth and the solar system's planets were very young. Some scientists suggest that hypothetical fossils found on Mars could be one-celled Archaea.

Angelika_Darksky

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #3 dnia: Czerwca 02, 2005, 12:59:03 pm »
Ah I know what he means... it's the story of (some guy I forget the name of) which was broadcastet over the USA in the 1950 (or so) by radio stations. It was meant as a shortstory, but people thought it was real and aliens invade. It caused panics and chaos all over the country.

And will be in cinemas across europa soon :D

(Am I right?)

Deckert

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #4 dnia: Czerwca 02, 2005, 01:02:38 pm »
to Angelika:

The story you described is called "The War of The Words" by H.G. Wells. And, yes it will soon be in our theatres.

CU
Deck

SoGo

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #5 dnia: Czerwca 02, 2005, 03:36:32 pm »
I've looked up this "Night and Mould" and found nothing like it. What is this book?

Nacht und Schimmel, a pocket book with sf-stories from Lem.
Don't know if they had translated it in English, but I just translated the German title in English.

SoGo

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #6 dnia: Czerwca 02, 2005, 03:42:21 pm »
(Am I right?)

Sorry, but you're not.
What you mean is "War of the Worlds".
I know about this massive panic-crowding radio-programme, but didn't mean that.
Die Invasion, was a story about a "meant" invasion of aliens.
A huge white somewhat fall down in the country.
It copied the scene (a boy and a girl), in which it crashed, inside, modelled with this milky white somewhat.
Noone knowed what it was, they shoot at it, but didn't came to an easy answer (the end-answer is typically for Lem, always somewhat normal, that is to normal)

It was seed from a plant, which flies around the space, crushing down somewhere, growing into some more, and flying around after the planet explode.

A new idea of life, between all marks from our form.

peskanov

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #7 dnia: Czerwca 02, 2005, 07:42:34 pm »
I have not read this tale; the idea is very close to the theory of panspermia, wihch is quite popular (especially after 2001, from Clarke/Kubrick).
There is a short, but famous film made at the beginnings of computer graphics, which has a similar plot. Seeds come from space, grow, and the the plants throw theirs seed again to space.
I think it was presented at the Imagina festival.

Sogo, it seems you own every book written by Lem :)
Do you know the date of the tale?
« Ostatnia zmiana: Czerwca 02, 2005, 07:44:34 pm wysłana przez peskanov »

Angelika_Darksky

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #8 dnia: Czerwca 03, 2005, 08:00:03 am »
 :-[ Sorry I mixed it up *g*

I believe Nacht und Schimmel is a collection of diefferent short stories put together by suhrkamp verlag (?) in germany so of course the book won't be available in english. Maybe the story appears also in a english collection?

I admit I don't have this book. But it always makes me angry: in germany, most of Lems stories aren't published in the same form like in Poland (in original form) - they are torn apart and mixed newly and the outcome is, that you have to buy hundreds of different editions... and you can be sure there are alwas some stories missing. Don't know how they do this, but they make sure they've got the opportunitiy to bring out a new book from time to time, with stories we haven't seen before (which could be centuries old).
And this is perfectly the case with Nacht und Schimmel I believe.

SoGo

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #9 dnia: Czerwca 03, 2005, 09:09:09 am »

in germany, most of Lems stories aren't published in the same form like in Poland (in original form)

Yeah, you're fully right.
I know the problem.
In much books from Lem I've got, theres a story two- or three times.
I do not try to avoid this, I just buy all Lem-books with a new title, if I have the money for them.

« Ostatnia zmiana: Czerwca 06, 2005, 12:14:11 pm wysłana przez SoGo »

SoGo

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #10 dnia: Czerwca 03, 2005, 09:20:16 am »
Sogo, it seems you own every book written by Lem :)
Do you know the date of the tale?

Not every, but nearly.
I'm still collecting.
I will look up the date, if I am at home.

SoGo

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #11 dnia: Czerwca 22, 2005, 09:53:23 pm »
Ok, I've looked it up again.
The Original Title of the Book is "Opowiadania"
Published by "Wydawnictwo Literackie" Kraków 1969
The Story I told before has the original title "Inzwazja".
Hope I may help you.

::)

SoGo

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #12 dnia: Czerwca 22, 2005, 09:56:49 pm »
Has anyone of you read "Czas Nietracony"?
Its this first book of Lem, which include the novel "Hospital of the Transfiguration".
I just find it between my other books, at first I thought it would be the same like the hospital.
But then I saw that the Story about Stefan till continues.
So I read the rest, the Hospital was just a third of the hole story.
Has anyone read this first literate work of Lem completely, too?

Terminus

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #13 dnia: Czerwca 25, 2005, 02:04:57 am »
Hm... naa... I haven't read the Hospital.... And as a matter of fact, I am not that sure if it was Lem's first book ever (I suspect the one was Man from Mars - published in parts in some newspaper, or sth).

Nevertheless, thanks for information about Inwazja it's very useful to know where it was published!

SoGo

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #14 dnia: Czerwca 29, 2005, 07:35:41 pm »
Man from Mars - published in parts in some newspaper, or sth).

I must correct myself. The first book, published in German.
When it was published in an Newspaper, I haven't got it in my collection, tragically.