English > Forum in English

LEMIAN criticism of DUNE?

<< < (2/2)

Terminus:
@Q: This is me

I don't see much resemblance :)

@Dragon:
"Alive and iterested" would be a great song title:)
I generally agree, although you surely have noticed that we're only guessing Lem's opinion. Maybe Lem's son, Tomasz, could know something about it e.g. from talks they might have had, but I personally wouldn't go further into guesses.
My critical opinion about Dune was base on the fact that Lem rarely wrote books aimed at disclosure of humanity's shortcomings at present, rather tried to extrapolate into far future. In Dune, we start in fictional universe... That's not even humanity :) Like I said, it's a hard guess - would Lem be set aside by the gargantual ammount of fantasy surrounding the underlying themes of Dune - or would he appreciate the sociological-ecological-political depth of it.
Look at Lem's opinion about Tarkovsky's adaptation of Solaris. He crushed it, because Tarkovsky chose to color the story with few grains of his fantasy and emotionalism. The general correctness of the adaptation did not salvage the movie in Lem's eyes.
For that, and other reasons, I see Lem as ruthless critic, and that's why I said what I said...

Q:
Revealed character designs from incoming "Dune" comic book adaptation:
https://ew.com/books/2020/01/07/see-first-images-from-the-dune-graphic-novel/
(I see strong resemblence to characters from Lynch's film*.)

* What makes you ask yourself a question whether another image of these characters (I mean: Villeneuve's film ;), if it turns out creative, not repetitive; repetitive would be unnecessary ex definitione) is needed at all?

Nawigacja

[0] Indeks wiadomości

[*] Poprzednia strona

Idź do wersji pełnej