Autor Wątek: Lem and other SF  (Przeczytany 127380 razy)

Terminus

• Gość
Re: Lem and other SF
« Odpowiedź #45 dnia: Lipca 15, 2005, 12:54:23 am »
Don't get riddiculous, man. You have an idea for a story - write it down, instead of complaining that the world is too dumb to read it!
Of course movies are dumb & stupid, but there are some glorious exceptions! Maybe you've seen nothing but "Space Soldiers", "Lost in Space" and "War of the Worlds" but I assure You, when it comes to making movies, American ones are most spectacular, but not too intelectually demaning, to say the least.

Your idea (the plot about the timeless planet), is cute, use it. But don't get stuck up in the idea alone; You also need to show some style.

I keep my fingers crossed.
« Ostatnia zmiana: Lipca 15, 2005, 12:55:10 am wysłana przez Terminus »

SoGo

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #46 dnia: Lipca 15, 2005, 09:43:39 am »
Okay?
But I really don't understand, what you mean with this post?
Shall we be sad with you [Don't know what Mitleid means in English] or what?
Surely, World is bad.
But only so bad, you let her be.

SoGo

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #47 dnia: Lipca 15, 2005, 09:48:39 am »
Goddam, write this Story.
You say, there are only bad films, but have you seen "Avalon" [produced with the friendly help of the polish army], the Solaris Movies, 12 Monkeys or many more?
Legends man, and you maybe produce one other of these.
Keep writing.

Deckert

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #48 dnia: Lipca 15, 2005, 11:13:47 am »
Film industry is dominated by American companies. It's not bad, because they have a lot of experience and a great infrastructure.It gives them the incredibly rich movie industry environment which now offers american visioners the ability to create any kind of movies they want. Obviously most of the movies are superficial and depict usually pretty dumb stories. To sell the stupid idea in the movie it has to be outfitted with plenty of superb special effects, good actors and music. And then we have a great product that will fur sure be on the top of Box Office. This is how it works - we all know that. I think that thanks to some bestselling movies with silly scripts producers get more money and part of it can be given to some fresh screen writers and directors which only just appeared on the stage.
It happened quite a few times in the past that movies which were in the begining considered to be a flop became the classic or even cult movies some time later.
At least I really would like to think it's true.  ;D ;D

So write your story Laslo! Hope you have a time to put down your idea. Then publish it in some local magazines or present it on your web page.
Maybe your story will be an inspiration for some great 3D artists like for instance Tomek Baginski, and then you won't need to care about how to find a cash for movie production, how to find a good director, camera operator and so on....

Good luck!
« Ostatnia zmiana: Lipca 15, 2005, 11:59:20 am wysłana przez Deckert »

Laslo Katona

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #49 dnia: Lipca 21, 2005, 12:10:04 am »
Friends!!!!!!

This is amazing! I never deramed about these kind letters! (I was a little unenthusiastic.) Yes, the idea is good (I say it as an objective, "third" person), because the origin of it came partly from that revelation: if you stand on a location of the Moon, the Earth will be on the same (constans) place of the sky. The "moonlings" would know, their "univers" centered by Earth. (The Earth are in the centre of the Moon's circle.)  
My novel is about the possibilities of the understanding between two similar, but not equivalent intelligence. This is a huge field of thoughts, but interesting, neverthless maybe I'm not the perfect person to write it. But I will try.
Some years from now on, and it will be complete  :)
God belss You all!
And million thanks to STANISLAV LEM!!!

Laslo Katona

snorri

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #50 dnia: Lipca 22, 2005, 05:06:46 pm »
Other SF Authors that wrote at least some works that I found interesting:

- The Strugazkis ("Roadside Picnic", one of the most Lem-like stories I know, though written in a very different style)
- Philip K. Dick ("Ubik"!)
- Robert Heinlein (I am one of those who like "Starship Troopers" :) )
- Arthur C. Clarke (only the old stuff like "Rama" or "2001"; he was a lousy writer but had fascinating technical ideas)
- Joe Haldeman ("Eternal War")
- William Gibson ("Neuromancer")
- Svend Aage Madsen (an interesting danish author; so far I have only read "See the light of day" and liked it)

-- snorri

Terminus

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #51 dnia: Lipca 25, 2005, 01:16:27 am »
- The Strugazkis ("Roadside Picnic", one of the most Lem-like stories I know, though written in a very different style)

Well, "Roadside picnic" is just the top of an ice-berg, when it comes to their books! Have You , for example, read "Monday Starts on Saturday" ? It's just as funny as Lem's "Star Diaries", and at the same time very profound and interesting.

Cheers!
« Ostatnia zmiana: Lipca 25, 2005, 01:16:53 am wysłana przez Terminus »

wetal

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #52 dnia: Lutego 27, 2006, 12:15:14 pm »
I`m happy to see that someone has mentoned Philip Dick though I don`t really respect him for his style of writing and poor imagination. Also I can`t hide my excitement at fact that someone besides me read Robert Heinlein.
 Roadside Picnic is a great work by Strugatskys,I wonder if you had seen Tarkovskiy`s "Stalker".You won`t regret `cause it is worth seeing.

daffodil2006

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #53 dnia: Marca 28, 2006, 08:14:45 pm »
I really admire other writers too. Here is the list of my favourite:

Klifford Simak
Robert Sheckly
Garry Rarrison

Pekka

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #54 dnia: Marca 30, 2006, 09:36:20 pm »
Does anybody know Alexander Belyaev a fonder of soviet sci-fiction? Were his works translated into other languages ? I just wonder, HEAD OF PROFESSOR DOUEL especially.

His story about a scientist´s brain being transplanted into an elephant´s head was translated into Finnish.

cheers, Pekka

wetal

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #55 dnia: Kwietnia 20, 2006, 02:22:47 pm »
Do you know that recently there was a sci-fiction session in Kyiv ? Some writers came from various countries,I personally know only one of them and this one is not the best exemplar ,it was Harry Harrison from US.We certainly love all his stories about those brave guys who fight with space pirates,space dragons,save space beauties from the captures and while celebrating their victory drink space whisky.
There was also some man from Poland I do not remember his name as I heard it only once and for the first time.

Metalist

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #56 dnia: Maja 02, 2006, 05:01:32 am »
To me, Alexey Tolstoy, Belyaev and the Strugatsky Brothers are the cream of the crop for Soviet sci-fi. "The head of Professor Douel" is a great book (although I remember his assistant actually reanimating Douel's whole head and not just the brain. So I'm not sure about the Finnish translation). I have not found any English translations of Belyaev and Tolstoy although there are a few Strugatsky books floating around Barnes and Noble (usually within sci-fi compilations) Once in a while I will catch Stalker or even The Country of Purple  Clouds on the Bravo Channel. Unfortunately, Tolstoy and Belyaev are unknown in the US, so I always get "corrected" by my American friends who think that I mean Lev Tolstoy.

NIKA

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #57 dnia: Maja 07, 2006, 03:41:28 pm »
For me one of the best SF writer is Karel Chapek with his "Factory of absolute".(I'm sorry for my translation, I don't know how this book called in English)  :( Have you read it? What do you think about it?

Strugazkys are genius writers,"Monday starts on Saturday" is my "table-book", but they aren't science-fictioneers, they wrote social fiction. If our topic is "Lem an other SF", it's uncorrectly to compare Lem with Strugazkys.

Bradbury is a fantasy.

Garrison, Shekley, Simak ,Clark - it's fairy tales wits "science" decoration.

It's seemed to me, that Lem is only writer (exept Stapedon, Chapek and Wells), whom we can called " the author of science fiction".

I don't think, that other books are bad, but it's another genre, not SF.

Q

• YaBB Moderator
  • God Member
  • Jego Induktywność
« Odpowiedź #58 dnia: Maja 27, 2013, 10:41:51 pm »
On topic "Lem’s Solaris: Subverting the Utopian Vision of Science Fiction":
http://blog.mixerpublishing.com/?p=725
"Wśród wydarzeń wszechświata nie ma ważnych i nieważnych, tylko my różnie je postrzegamy. Podział na ważne i nieważne odbywa się w naszych umysłach" - Marek Baraniecki