Autor Wątek: Tichy's final voyage  (Przeczytany 9454 razy)

innate

• Gość
Tichy's final voyage
« dnia: Stycznia 01, 2006, 09:31:31 pm »
Have you read it?
On the web, I found something that purports to be his final voyage, but there's one part where Tichy behaves...rather inappropriately, so I'm not certain whether it's genuine. (without going into details, it involves a secretary)

By final voyage, I mean the ostatnia podróż that Lem wrote in the nineties, not the old dwudziesta szósta i ostatnia story.
« Ostatnia zmiana: Stycznia 01, 2006, 09:33:19 pm wysłana przez innate »

Terminus

• Gość
Re: Tichy's final voyage
« Odpowiedź #1 dnia: Stycznia 01, 2006, 11:54:38 pm »
The information that Lem wrote anything about Tichy during the nineties is, in my opinion, false. I doubt that such fact could go unnoticed here in Poland.

As for Tichy's adventures with his secretary... uhm...
...I don't believe Lem could write such stuff.

innate

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #2 dnia: Stycznia 02, 2006, 01:57:02 am »
Yeah, it would seem uncharacteristic of Lem, to say the least!

I notice that this thing lists a story with such a title:
In The Last Voyage of Ijon Tichy (Ostatnia podróz Ijona Tichego, 1996) Tichy does not leave our planet, so it is really a reminiscence. This 'voyage' is a yet another short political satire, this time on free market capitalism and excesses of information technology, and especially commercial applications of VR, as well as on the another sexual revolution (this time driven by the information technology). According to Lem (Dziury w calym, 1997) it was `a satire on the Internet'.

def

• Juror
  • YaBB Newbies
« Odpowiedź #3 dnia: Stycznia 02, 2006, 03:38:25 pm »
Yes Lem would never resolve to writing things such as this. So I think your question is answered Innate.
« Ostatnia zmiana: Stycznia 03, 2006, 01:21:36 am wysłana przez def »

Terminus

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #4 dnia: Stycznia 13, 2006, 02:59:09 am »
Well, I've read through Lem's bilbliography (writen by mr. Lech Keller), and admit that I was mistaken.
Lem did write a story in the ninetees and titled it 'Ostatnia podroz Ijona Tichego' ('Ijon Tichy's Final Voyage), and it was probably published in ... Playboy in 1999.

Yet I'm not sure if what Innate found on the web was really Lem's...

I tried to find the Polish version, but with no results whatsoever, and... the archives of Polish Playboy editions are out of my reach for now.
« Ostatnia zmiana: Stycznia 13, 2006, 02:59:23 am wysłana przez Terminus »

innate

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #5 dnia: Stycznia 13, 2006, 04:40:08 am »
google has a cached copy in the first page of things that come up when you ask for "Ostatnia podroz Ijona Tichego". Of course, we won't know for real unless you should happen to see the magazine.
Or if you already saw the web page and were talking about Polish versions on paper, then, ummm, never mind!
« Ostatnia zmiana: Stycznia 13, 2006, 04:42:20 am wysłana przez innate »

innate

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #6 dnia: Stycznia 14, 2006, 01:56:53 am »
Since the big search engines don't allow wildcarding, I'm curious how one typically deals with declension when looking for discussion of things in Polish. It'd be a pity if you have to do a nominative search, then try a genitive search, then try an instrumental search, etc...
« Ostatnia zmiana: Stycznia 14, 2006, 01:58:39 am wysłana przez innate »

Terminus

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #7 dnia: Stycznia 14, 2006, 03:57:25 am »
Pity us, but we do have to suffer it all.
Luckily the declension often means rather adding letters than substracting them, as
Lem
Lem-a
Lem-owi
Lem-em
Lem-ie

...and so on. Therefore google finds parts of words.
« Ostatnia zmiana: Stycznia 14, 2006, 03:57:43 am wysłana przez Terminus »