Autor Wątek: similar writers?  (Przeczytany 9378 razy)

innate

• Gość
similar writers?
« dnia: Października 11, 2005, 09:06:18 pm »
I read Micromegas (Voltaire) the other day, and it certainly seemed to me to have something of the flavor of a Tichy tale. Also, from what I can recall, Candide had familiar themes, emphasizing that life is filled with senseless and horrible occurrences, that chance has greater effect than virtue, etc.

In articles or interviews, I've also seen people mention Swift, Wells, Stapledon, and Verne.... I've hardly read anything of the first three, though,  and I don't remember there being philosophy to Verne.

Terminus

• Gość
Re: similar writers?
« Odpowiedź #1 dnia: Października 11, 2005, 10:41:28 pm »
Verne didn't bother himself with philosophy ::)

And... Micromegas ? Doesn't ring a bell...

innate

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #2 dnia: Października 11, 2005, 11:54:49 pm »
It's so short that I'll point you to an English translation. There are beings from other worlds, and a lot of poking fun at man's self-importance.

I looked through part of his Philosophical Dictionary as well. He would sometimes put forth a strong argument for what he had to pretend not to believe, and "demolish" it with a deliberately weak argument. He'd had his share of imprisonment and exile, but something like openly professing atheism at that time would result in the State murdering you....

Terminus

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #3 dnia: Października 12, 2005, 12:36:00 am »
Understood.

Thanks for the translation, I'll get on it as soon as I can.  (Meaning somewhere around 2032).

Socrates

• Juror
  • I shall become the world's best fencer.
« Odpowiedź #4 dnia: Października 17, 2005, 05:34:02 pm »
I read Micromegas about a year ago; great stuff.  Voltaire was a genius.  The Stories definitely have a Tichy ring to them (or vice versa).
Cheers, Socrates

innate

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #5 dnia: Października 27, 2005, 06:18:23 am »
Among more recent writers, I sometimes see Borges and Calvino mentioned. Any thoughts? I've only read a very small amount by Borges and practically nothing by Calvino.