English > Forum in English

Guidelines For Lem-Inspired Stories?

(1/7) > >>

Dragon of Improbability:
The Dragon has emerged from Nothingness again,

In the opinion of the most devoted Lem fans on Solaris Station: What are the guidelines to writing fiction (or science fiction) in the vein of Stanislaw Lem? More specifically: what are the steps required to write stories that are like Stanislaw Lem's?

OlegY:
good enough scientific-related education =)

Terminus:
Why would you want to write like Lem? Just don't occupy your mind with that... If you love his books it will show up in what you write.

It is true Lem was very well educated, very intelligent (his speculated IQ was around 200) and imaginative. But knowledge itself isn't most important - in cases of books like Solaris he, instead of knowing anything, had to invent a whole new branches of science connected with the planet. It showed that he had done his homework about how science works, developps, what conflicts it has within itself, and so on. I believe it gives a hint about at least one aspect of "Lem's method" - he got to know some mechanisms to great extent, and then let his fantasy do the rest, while keeping to the details with great care.  Also, he used Polish language such extraordinary ways... But this obviously could hardly be copied even if you were Polish, and you probably are not :)

By the way, let us know when you write anything :)

OlegY:
"If you love his books it will show up in what you write".

Terminus, you are really getting the point! I bet you have your own experience of writing novels which are worth reading. Please give me the link. I cannot boast of something like that but my younger brother is training to compose stories and periodically asks my consultation. So I feel myself somehow adhere to story-writing activity  :D

trx:
Composing stories (good ones) is not this kind of human activity that could be taught by any simple methods, resembling algorithms. If one thinks that he/she may achieve this skill by reading any guides ("10 steps to become a famous poet", etc.) or by writing for practice, he/she is deeply sunk in illusion. There are thousands of factors, making you a a great writer/mathematician/etc.: a set of your genes, your childhood, parents, access to books, libraries, culture. Dozens of them.

Nawigacja

[0] Indeks wiadomości

[#] Następna strona

Idź do wersji pełnej